Question for you cattlemen and pasture grass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So there you go the ins and outs, ups and downs,yeas and nays of it.some good and some bad some deadly some a blessing. BUT one thing you can be sure of is if it's growing on your place you have some pretty good ground. If it were covered in cockleburs and sand burns not so much. So you have a choice leave it and use it,or try to make your place into what you believe is the ideal. Just remember to get rid of it mechanically you'll have to deep plow it which is going to turn all that rich soil under and bring to the top all that less nutrient rich soil. Anything less is simply cultivating it. Or you can spray it with a herbicide that will kill everything else also and start over from nothing. IF your afraid of it you can do like most of us old guys who didn't have the internet did. Simply turn your cows out on it for a few minutes them run them back out.next day let them stay a little longer. Keep on till their guts get used to processing it. That's the proper way to change pastures or feed anytime. How many times have you seen guys throw a bunch of calves out on wheat pasture and the next day they were all scoured. Same difference just takes time for cattle to adjust.

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quick update on the pasture:
First of all, I want to thank @hunter966 for all of his help. He went out of his way to offer advice and help through the whole process. We got to meet in person today when he delivered the seed and drill, and it was a pleasure getting to meet him. I highly recommend the South Caddo County Conservation office and specifically @hunter966.

The seed is in the ground, and hopefully we’ll get some of the rain that is being predicted over the next week or so. I’ll try to remember to post another update over the next couple of months on the progress. Here’s a bad pic of the seed going in the ground.
CBF2D579-9A36-47BA-BE16-401E7803EB0D.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quick update on the pasture:
First of all, I want to thank @hunter966 for all of his help. He went out of his way to offer advice and help through the whole process. We got to meet in person today when he delivered the seed and drill, and it was a pleasure getting to meet him. I highly recommend the South Caddo County Conservation office and specifically @hunter966.

The seed is in the ground, and hopefully we’ll get some of the rain that is being predicted over the next week or so. I’ll try to remember to post another update over the next couple of months on the progress. Here’s a bad pic of the seed going in the ground.
View attachment 379551
Looks like a Brillion seeder?

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was good to meet up with you too and I am tickled I was to help you out!

Not only that we’re close enough we can meet up at Ann’s and get some good grub. 😁😁

Dennishoddy that is a Truax no-till drill, I think it does a good job and I hope OkieJo72 does as well. It doesn’t leave as pretty a field as the Brillion does when the planting’s finished, but it’s a really good drill.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was good to meet up with you too and I am tickled I was to help you out!

Not only that we’re close enough we can meet up at Ann’s and get some good grub. 😁😁

Dennishoddy that is a Truax no-till drill, I think it does a good job and I hope OkieJo72 does as well. It doesn’t leave as pretty a field as the Brillion does when the planting’s finished, but it’s a really good drill.
Thanks for the heads up. Saw the second set of wheels on further inspection of the photo and figured it was another brand.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The back set of wheels are for transporting down the road, it’s got a set of coulters out front and double disc planters behind them. It’d be great if it had the culti-packers like the Brillion.
I have a 6’ Brillion for food plots. Put in lots of clover with it, but this drought pretty much doesn’t do it much good in NW Ok.
The 6” high clover from the past is bare dirt currently with some Johnson grass starting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom