Question for you cattlemen and pasture grass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another reason Johnson grass is so widespread is that the US Forest Service (I think it was) were paying wheat farmers in NC Ok to grow Johnson grass for seed.
My uncle planted 40 acres of it in the 60’s for harvest by custom combiners.
The seed was distributed to areas burned in forest fires to stop erosion. The program didn’t last long as the invasive nature became apparent.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Protein levels in JG isn't that high. (10 - 13%) Thats why I killed it out and sprigged Bermuda. almost 2 x the protein. (21% as tested)
Protein means growth. so its kinda important for cattle lol.
Yea, but at what cost?

Which one thrives without the addition of chemical fertilizer?

You guys have a lot of clover, trefoil, etc (legumes) down there putting nitrogen back in the soil?

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It sure didn't die when my cattle grazed it to the dirt several years in a row.
Sounds like I need some! 😁

Almost looks like what I have growing in the stone bed next to the house. It seems to poke right through old landscape cloth covered with stones.
Seems to me the stuff there is a rhizome.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My land along the river used to not have much Johnson grass, but it’s about taken over now. I used to mow at least twice a year, but I started a couple years ago just mowing once before hunting season. With the drought last summer, it wasn’t near as bad as ‘21. Here a picture going into JG taller than the cab of the tractor. If I didn’t know the place so well, there’s no way I could’ve found all the roads.
96465E6D-06FF-4C77-83F1-BE18F81DA487.jpeg

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
If you’re interested in a seed mix for Native grass, I work for the conservation office in Caddo County and can make you one up taking into account the type/types of soil you have in your land.

Or I can give you the guys number who runs the Comanche County office there in Lawton.
I might hit you up for info for our place in Cyril.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea, but at what cost?

Which one thrives without the addition of chemical fertilizer?

You guys have a lot of clover, trefoil, etc (legumes) down there putting nitrogen back in the soil?
That is the rub, where I was at in Tuttle, it was minimal cost for initialing sprigging and fertilizer.
Cattle are a gamble and if you dont get the game down, its costly...or profitable. I had a small Hoby ranch. And to cut my losses, well I actually never had any losses. Broke even mostly, sometimes made a few bucks but always had home raised beef for free. That was the main score.
And all year long I had pasture ornaments. Nothings better.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom