Question Regarding Armed Resource Officers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You don't need to be a physician to be able to respond to emergency trauma correctly. It's a matter of training, primarily first responder tasks following TCCC guidelines. We call it sticks and rags because it's primarily initial assessment and noninvasive application of hemorrhage control and minor airway management, using bandages, cravats, tourniquets, OPAs, etc. and covers down on some fieldcraft implementation of these supplies/principals.

TCCC was developed initially for SOF medics as a response to Mogadishu. It eventually became a standard in the Army and has transitioned to the Prehospital setting.
There is this type of training all over the country, just many either don't know, or believe only a doctor or nurse can stop bleeding and plug holes.

NAEMT link to TCCC guidelines:
http://naemt.org/education/naemt-tccc/tccc-mp-guidelines-and-curriculum
This is more advances and geared toward existing medical personnel but there are the first responder classes through various orgs and companies. Many of these have curriculum geared towards schools/teachers and folks with minimal medical knowledge.
That all sounds great. As an Oklahoma educator I’ll tell you for free that schools districts dont have the money to pay for the supplies or the training. I would gladly take the course. I would certainly do any and everything I could to save a students life. But the reality of the whole thing is that the Ok Education system doesn’t have the resources for that kind of thing. It’s a cold hard fact man! Sorry to be a “Debby-Downer”. But I assume you wanted an honest answer to your questions.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We just moved to Tulsa. Anyone know if our schools have armed resource officers? Apparently the Superintendent of Tulsa public schools, Deborah Gist is fighting to keep teachers defenseless. We have many teachers that are veterans that would gladly volunteer, but she is actively fighting against effective school safety.

I am also interested in determining how medically equipped and trained teachers are for treating gunshot wounds.
Another layer to the solutions to this problem might be to circle the wagons on social media. It is time for adults with the best intentions of the children to be in charge of the educational systems. Her position is an elected one.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Excellent and well-informed response. Shortly before my retirement from Tulsa Technology Center in early 2020, a "Stop the Bleed" class was taught by a Tulsa County deputy who is an on-campus LEO contracted by Tulsa Tech with the TCSO. It was a well-done class and very informative about the equipment in the kits with specific practice on proper usage for penetrating wounds. I'm a former EMT from way back so I was interested to see how the skills were taught and what the kits contained. Every emergency cabinet with a Automatic Emergency Defibrillator now also has a Stop the Bleed kit. It is the height of living in denial, combined with a "not my job, man" attitude, to avoid being a responsible human being.
I Am also offended by the “not my job” portion Of your response. If you don’t want answers dont ask questions. Again I’ll state that any teacher in Oklahoma would do whatever they could for their students. We are on the frontlines of any shooting or bomb attack. But like I said before, the funding isn’t there for the courses or the supplies. It’s just reality. So we leave it to response teams and resource officers to handle any problem. I don’t like it. I’m ex military myself. I feel I am qualified to carry and confront any problem. But the department of education won’t listen to that conversation either.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That all sounds great. As an Oklahoma educator I’ll tell you for free that schools districts dont have the money to pay for the supplies or the training. I would gladly take the course. I would certainly do any and everything I could to save a students life. But the reality of the whole thing is that the Ok Education system doesn’t have the resources for that kind of thing. It’s a cold hard fact man! Sorry to be a “Debby-Downer”. But I assume you wanted an honest answer to your questions.
Honest answers simply frame the problem correctly. I have never seen them hinder a solution.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sweating it, I'm just answering your statement that teachers aren't doctors. That's really a glass half empty attitude but whatever. If you can acquire pencils and paper, you can acquire bandages.
I'm engaging our mayor for his input. I'll train people for free.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sweating it, I'm just answering your statement that teachers aren't doctors. That's really a glass half empty attitude but whatever. If you can acquire pencils and paper, you can acquire bandages.
I hope you do and I hope he listens. We graduated from the same High School. He’s a an arrogant little ****! If it doesn’t put money in his pocket he will smile and forget every word you say.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you put forth the effort to do that in the Tulsa area, PM me. I will cover your fuel and a steak dinner.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I Am also offended by the “not my job” portion Of your response. If you don’t want answers dont ask questions. Again I’ll state that any teacher in Oklahoma would do whatever they could for their students. We are on the frontlines of any shooting or bomb attack. But like I said before, the funding isn’t there for the courses or the supplies. It’s just reality. So we leave it to response teams and resource officers to handle any problem. I don’t like it. I’m ex military myself. I feel I am qualified to carry and confront any problem. But the department of education won’t listen to that conversation either.
You were the one claiming the "not a physician" position. You may feel free to block me for offending you by drawing a logical conclusion and giving it a plain label. Before you go, I will note your positive actions and attitude in finding a cost-effective solution. Meanwhile, have a fine summer!

Latest posts

Top Bottom