Question Regarding Armed Resource Officers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lhecker51

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a teacher, I would be willing to take this training. I don't work in Tulsa however, but this training would be much more valuable than the lock out tag out training module I had to go through.....
Canokie3, could you share some detail on what first aid training you have received as an educator and what you would like to receive?

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any trauma, medical, or firearm training should be voluntary, but available.

Not everyone is interested in or capable of applying the training or coping with the stress. They are teachers, not military, swat, leo, emt or Dr.

They chances of EVER needing such training is slight. Any with an interest should be supported, but nothing mandatory.

Police drive by and walk throughs, daily physical presence and school doors locked will do more good.

Reaction score
There are, however, other Oklahoma educators that are very vitriolic in their social media responses. This is why I make no assumptions and ask questions first to determine if there is an issue or gap to address.
I get a lot of that "not my job and you can't make me" response from folks when asking rational questions that are read into and imply things I did not say. This was especially true from teachers commenting on the FB page for Ryan Walters. I got the sense they prefer memorials for dead children than implementing effective, rational, and immediate school defense plans stating that they will NEVER defend their classroom with evil guns. I understand this is any emotional response from the loud ones among them, but I saw absolutely no pushback from educators to their comments nor support for any action other than to fight any solution other than unrealistic demands to disarm us of all "assault rifles". These people are supposedly educators that lack the ability to separate documented fact from their emotional fiction. I completely understand that emotions will run high, but I respectfully asked for their suggestions on an effective plan and was attacked by them. I was not expecting this sort of discourse from educators in Oklahoma. I know my audience when I speak and assume they are rational and willing to focus on a solution, but found they are more interested in defending their biases. This is not good. It is not my intent to ruffle their Rhubarb, but sometimes it is unavoidable.
LONG post snipped to this paragraph but if you really "I know my audience when I speak..." then you wouldn't say "I got the sense they prefer memorials for dead children...". That is insulting and dehumanizing beyond belief. It completely discredits you and will do so if anyone present in your meetings is aware of that statement. It also suggests to some of the unstable that maybe teachers are evil and should be attacked. Yes, teachers are not soldiers. Yes, they could learn about emergency care. But to suggest that people who decided to make teaching the students of Oklahoma for damn little money or support their lifetime profession don't care about the students' being killed suggests that is you that has the problem. They probably picked up on your attitude in the process of reacting the way they did. You are the wrong person for the work you propose.

I won't be seeing any of your responses.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I trust the positive intent of HoneyBadger and very much appreciate her comment. I know you are being honest and willing to go to the mat for our children that are in your care and I appreciate you.
I fear you don’t know you’re audience as well as you think you do. I am a he, not a she. More importantly people who have it all figured out in this thread have failed to see the most basic point of dealing with school shootings after bullets have ripped through a body. basic cpr, basic wound care, minimal medical knowledge are not going to be of much assistance. Sure….. a superficial flesh wound. A nick. A clean pass through of a “meaty” area. The real issue here is internal bleeding. punctured lungs. Severed arteries.I can go on of you like. We don’t have the training to deal with this. The state cannot afford to train us to deal with this. The likelihood of a school shooting at our place of employment is very unlikely. People come and go from the profession every year. Hell for that matter every day. We are not, can not be trained on that level. Doesn't mean we won’t try to help. Hold a hand. Say a prayer. Offer assistance to trained medical professionals. But the reality of this whole thing is that the state does not have the resources to pay for the training. Or supply school districts with the equipment you would find in a trauma center. Another reality is that any class we take on our own won’t help when a a bullet has set a child’s life on a collision course with death. We are trained to get the living out of harms way. Hide them. Keep them as safe as we can. And that’s it.

Last edited:

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can’t imagine a teachers who wouldn’t want the emergency medical training. Of course, they should get a raise, since they’re more highly trained and have greater responsibility.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sometimes the perception is everything! These COWARDS choose schools, especially elamentruy schools, because of the SHOCK VALUE, and because they know there will be no armed resistance! RIGHT? We are not ever going to be able to get rid of all guns, any more than we can get rid of ALL nuclear weapons! ALL POLITICIANS HAVE ARMED SECURITY GUARDS WITH THEM 24/7/365, RIGHT? WHY do they do that? A would be assassin KNOWS THIS, and the fact that they have ARMED SECURITY, DETERS MOST ATTEMPTS! If we could create the impression that most/all schools have ARMED, TRAINED, ADULTS on site, wouldn't that deture at least some of these SPOILED BRATS, SEEKING THEIR MINUTE OF NOTIRIATY?

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I fear you don’t know you’re audience as well as you think you do. I am a he, not a she. More importantly people who have it all figured out in this thread have failed to see the most basic point of dealing with school shootings after bullets have ripped through a body. basic cpr, basic wound care, minimal medical knowledge are not going to be of much assistance. Sure….. a superficial flesh wound. A nick. A clean pass through of a “meaty” area. The real issue here is internal bleeding. punctured lungs. Severed arteries.I can go on of you like. We don’t have the training to deal with this. The state cannot afford to train us to deal with this. The likelihood of a school shooting at our place of employment is very unlikely. People come and go from the profession every year. Hell for that matter every day. We are not, can not be trained on that level. Doesn't mean we won’t try to help. Hold a hand. Say a prayer. Offer assistance to trained medical professionals. But the reality of this whole thing is that the state does not have the resources to pay for the training. Or supply school districts with the equipment you would find in a trauma center. Another reality is that any class we take on our own won’t help when a a bullet has set a child’s life on a collision course with death. We are trained to get the living out of harms way. Hide them. Keep them as safe as we can. And that’s it.
I think there is potentially a misunderstanding on how much training goes into a Stop the Bleed level of competency. I am also not a first responder of any type, but when I go out to the oil patch, I carry a pack with hemostatic gauze, 2 tourniquets, bandage, and a couple of SAM splints. I carry the same in my truck, when I go hunting, going to the gun range, etc. It took 15-16 hours of training one weekend to get a solid 90% competency in keeping someone alive until the real guys show up. I make it a point to run through the mnemonics provided in class every time I pick up my bag to go somewhere and it will require a refresher probably every couple of years to stay current and comfortable. My teenage son also went through the same training and gets pop quizzes on the mnemonics as well.

We don't need EMT level training to have a great set of skills to greatly increase someone's odds of survival. I would also argue that thinking this training is something we only do if we work in a school, gun range, or have certain hobbies is very inaccurate. The odds of us being in a scenario where we need a tourniquet, wound packing, or even just basic first aid is MUCH larger than us needing to draw our firearm. Trimming trees, working on an elevated surface, or just driving to work surrounds us with objects and scenarios that could end with a trauma kit being incredibly useful.

Just to be clear, though I am sure there are some bum educators out there, I would have a hard time believing they are numerous. Teaching is a passion career like nursing, LEO, EMTs, and firefighters. Most people jump into these types of careers because they like what it provides for our society. Superintendents and the bureaucracy of our education system seem to really kill the effectiveness of each dollar in the budget though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom