Quick Range report: Kimber 1911, M&P9c and S&W 642

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I decided to take a long lunch and go to the range to day and shoot my three favorite guns. Here is a brief report of how everything performed.

Kimber Pro CDP:
ai373.photobucket.com_albums_oo177_BurkC_P3160015.jpg

Shot this one first since it is single action, then go on to the longer pull double action guns. I shot 100 rounds of Winchester white box (WWB) 230gr FMJ. All rounds performed as expected. No failure to feed, extract, eject or any other kind. I shot most of that from a Wilson 47D magazine but did run two McCormick Shooting Star magazines just for grins; same results.

Recoil is very manageable in this gun even though it is alloy framed. The new bright night sights that Kimber installed for me are amazingly bright. I don’t know how I got by with the dim ones? This gun is a tack driver. It is as accurate as the shooter is. Which is my case isn’t very. But I could still manage 2” groups at about 15 yds. I shot it off-hand as well and the accuracy didn’t diminish noticeably. This is one of my all time favorite guns. And it is beautiful, to boot!

Before I put it up I ran a couple of magazines of Remington Golden Saber 230gr (carry ammo) through for a simple reliability test and everything was perfect. It was not +P and there was not any noticeable recoil increase from the WWB

Smith & Wesson M&P9c:
ai373.photobucket.com_albums_oo177_BurkC_P2180001.jpg

The trigger on this one takes a little more getting used to after shooting the crisp Kimber trigger but it still isn’t really long or heavy. It is somewhere in the “Glock” range. Maybe 5-6 pounds +- I would guess. It is a little gritty at the start of the pull, though. I think I need Olyeller to smooth it up a little. Last month I replaced the magazine catch because the magazine was randomly dropping out. No issues with mag drops this time so the fix must have taken care of the issue.

This gun is remarkably accurate for a compact /subcompact. I have the medium back strap installed and this gun just fits my hand like a…well, glove. I also have the pinky extension on both of the magazines. Again, 100 rounds of WWB performed as needed and everything was most excellent. As usual, I also ran a couple magazines of my carry ammo (Hornady Critical Defense) through the gun for reliability. It seemed to been even more accurate with the Hornady. I shot about a 3-4" group at 15yds. This is very nice small 9mm carry gun. If you don’t feel like you can hide a larger framed gun, give this one a try. I think you will like it.

Smith & Wesson 642:
ai373.photobucket.com_albums_oo177_BurkC_P3240009.jpg

The ol’ stand by! The ol’ BUG! You don’t need to shoot these guns to much to know they aren’t much fun. I had forgotten. After about three or four cylinders, I said “that’s enough of that crap” These guns will always work and will run any kind of ammo you want to stuff down the tubes. I don’t carry +P because of the harsh recoil. I would like to find out if Speer makes a Gold Dot short barrel in non +P? I usually carry this gun in an Uncle Mikes size 4 pocket holster but just by happen-stance I found a Blackhawk IWB (size 8, I think) laying around and cut the plastic belt clip off and it seems to work better for pocket carry than the UM. I am going to keep trying it for a while and let you know. Maybe another holster review coming up on a $9 piece of nylon.

ai373.photobucket.com_albums_oo177_BurkC_IMAGE_338.jpg

tm8634

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I decided to take a long lunch and go to the range to day and shoot my three favorite guns. Here is a brief report of how everything performed.

Kimber Pro CDP:
ai373.photobucket.com_albums_oo177_BurkC_P3160015.jpg

Shot this one first since it is single action, then go on to the longer pull double action guns. I shot 100 rounds of Winchester white box (WWB) 230gr FMJ. All rounds performed as expected. No failure to feed, extract, eject or any other kind. I shot most of that from a Wilson 47D magazine but did run two McCormick Shooting Star magazines just for grins; same results.

Recoil is very manageable in this gun even though it is alloy framed. The new bright night sights that Kimber installed for me are amazingly bright. I don’t know how I got by with the dim ones? This gun is a tack driver. It is as accurate as the shooter is. Which is my case isn’t very. But I could manage 2” groups at about 15 yds. I shot it off-hand as well and the accuracy didn’t diminish noticeably. This is one of my all time favorite guns. And it is beautiful, to boot!

Before I put it up I ran a couple of magazines of Remington Golden Saber 230gr (carry ammo) through for a simple reliability test and everything was perfect. It was not +P and there was not any noticeable recoil increase from the WWB

iv got a black ultra carry II and love it and will like it more when i get the snake skin grips from stan, :hyper:im gona put on it

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took both my M&P 9 fullsize and the compact out today as well. Ran 350 rds through them with the help of my wonderful wife. She took the day off and decided she wanted to go shooting, which i had no reason to complain about. Anyways was very pleased with my compact, i rented one a couple weeks ago and then bought this one week before last. just waiting on my crossbreed supertuck to show up so i can start carrying it without having to tote the tactical shoulder bag around :thumbup3: .

Really anxious to see how well it carries because i was using a supertuck with my G19 that i had and it was awesome. with the M&P i'll probably not even notice it one bit.

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
just waiting on my crossbreed supertuck to show up so i can start carrying it without having to tote the tactical shoulder bag around :thumbup3: .

Really anxious to see how well it carries because i was using a supertuck with my G19 that i had and it was awesome. with the M&P i'll probably not even notice it one bit.

I'll bet it carries excellent. Even better than the G19 in my opinion. I think I am going to pick up a Hume JIT slide for the days I want to carry on my belt.

My normal carry rig is a Lobo Gunleather IWB

ai373.photobucket.com_albums_oo177_BurkC_P3310004.jpg

ai373.photobucket.com_albums_oo177_BurkC_P3310002.jpg

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Smith & Wesson 642:
The ol’ stand by! The ol’ BUG! I don’t carry +P because of the harsh recoil. I would like to find out if Speer makes a Gold Dot short barrel in non +P?

I don't think they do. My favorite ammo for my 442 and my wife's 64 NY-1 is Federal Nyclad. I actually prefer it to GDHP +P. It's standard pressure, shoots well and clean, and has a good reputation. It's sometimes hard to find but Ammo to go has some right now in LE pkg. You don't need to be LE to buy it.
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/index.php/cName/38-special-hollow-point-ammo