Range Officer 101

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought I would share this as I am guilty of not using the proper commands while acting as an RO at matches.

8.3 Range Communication
The approved range commands and their sequence are as follows:

8.3.1 “Make Ready” – This command signifies the start of “the Course of Fire”. Under the direct supervision of the Range Officer the competitor must face down range, or in a safe direction as specified by the Range Officer, fit eye and ear protection, and prepare the handgun in accordance with the written stage briefing. The competitor must then assume the required start position. At this point, the Range Officer will proceed.

8.3.1.1 Once the “Make Ready” command has been given, the competitor must not move away from the start location prior to issuance of the “Start Signal” without the prior approval, and under the direct supervision, of the Range Officer.

8.3.2 “Are You Ready?” – The lack of any negative response from the competitor indicates that he fully understands the requirements of the course of fire and is ready to proceed. If the competitor is not ready at the “Are You Ready?” command, he must state “Not Ready”. It is suggested that when the competitor is ready he should assume the required start position to indicate his readiness to the Range Officer.

8.3.3 “Standby” – This command should be followed by the start signal within 1 to 4 seconds.

8.3.4 “Start Signal” – The signal for the competitor to begin their attempt at the course of fire. If a competitor fails to react to a start signal, for any
reason, the Range Officer will confirm that the competitor is ready to attempt the course of fire, and will resume the range commands from “Are You Ready?”.

8.3.4.1 In the event that a competitor begins his attempt at the course of fire prematurely (“false start” prior to the issuance of the start signal) the Range Officer will, as soon as possible, stop and restart the competitor once the course of fire has been restored.

8.3.5 “Stop” – Any Range Officer assigned to a stage may issue this command at any time during the course of fire. The competitor must immediately cease firing, stop moving and wait for further instructions from the Range Officer.

8.3.6 “If You Are Finished, Unload And Show Clear” – If the competitor has finished shooting, he must lower his handgun and present it for inspection by the Range Officer with the muzzle pointed down range, magazine
removed, slide locked or held open, and chamber empty. Revolvers must be presented with the cylinder swung out and empty.

8.3.6.1 When conducting Standard Exercises, Range Officials may issue other interim commands on completion of the first string, in order to prepare the competitor for the second and subsequent strings. (e.g. “Reload if required and holster”). This option may also be applied when two or more courses of fire share a common shooting bay or area.

8.3.7 “If Clear, Hammer Down, Holster” – After issuance of this command, the competitor is prohibited from firing (see Rule 10.4.3). While continuing to point the handgun safely downrange, the competitor must perform a final safety check of the handgun as follows:

8.3.7.1 Self-loaders – release the slide and pull the trigger (without touching the hammer or decocker, if any).

8.3.7.2 Revolvers – close the empty cylinder (without touching the hammer, if any).

8.3.7.3 If the gun proves to be clear, the competitor must holster his
handgun.

8.3.7.4 If the gun does not prove to be clear, the Range Officer will resume the commands from Rule 8.3.6 (also see Rule 10.4.3).

8.3.8 “Range Is Clear” – This declaration signifies the end of the Course of fire. Once the declaration is made, officials and competitors may move forward to score, patch, reset targets etc.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
USPSA must think the commands are important. All or part of the above usually ends up as a pool question on my annual Chief Range Officer review test. The details that go with it; i.e. the 1-4 sec between "stand-by" and "start",

If Clear, Hammer Down, Holster is important too.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Someone at the last match that was RO-ing, as the shooter was showing clear, said, "I see clear". A squadmate heard clear, and then proceeded to walk downrange. I mention it not to scold the RO, but to give an example of why consistent range commands are so important.

I for one, just realized that I say, "If clear, slide, hammer, holster".
I need to change that.

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is good info. It seems like someone was trying to get an RO class together a couple of months ago. Not exactly sure what happened, I think we had plenty of interest. Any idea who was organizing it and what happened?

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the "official" range commands for IDPA is "Unload and Show Clear". "Range is Safe" is the all clear. At least to me the appropriate SO response to "Unload and Show Clear" is "I see clear" if you are checking which I think you should be. Obviously there are differences in a SO and RO and IDPA/USPSA as far as commands and rules which I'm sure contributes to some confusion.
I will say that that attending a SO/RO class is much more than range commands. As an alternative there is Jack's yearly SO class which would at least cover some of the basic safety rules/tips to watch out for.

Edit: Cleaned up to prevent confusion.

I was thrown off by Mike's example of saying clear during the range commands. Apparently "Show clear" is part of the range commands.

Not being a USPSA shooter, do they have an official RO safety course?

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the "official" range commands for IDPA is "Unload and Show Clear". "Range is Safe" is the all clear. At least to me the appropriate SO response to "Unload and Show Clear" is "I see clear" if you are checking which I think you should be. Obviously there are differences in a SO and RO and IDPA/USPSA as far as commands and rules which I'm sure contributes to some confusion.
I will say that that attending a SO/RO class is much more than range commands. As an alternative there is Jack's yearly SO class which would at least cover some of the basic safety rules/tips to watch out for.

I shouldn't have left out IDPA. The are the official IDPA range commands are below. These added words such as "I see clear" or " Do you understand the course of fire" or "Nod your head when ready" are exactly why I started this thread. They are extra things that we have added. The point being is we need more people to take the RO/SO classes.

Range Commands to be used in IDPA shall be: (See
glossary for definitions.)
A. Load and Make Ready.
B. Shooter Ready.
C. Standby.
D. Finger.
E. Muzzle.
F. Stop.
G. Cover.
H. Unload and Show Clear.
I. Slide Down or Cylinder Closed.
J. Hammer Down.
K. Holster.
L. Range Is Safe.

Here are the definitions from the glossary.
Range Commands:
Load and Make Ready: Command given to the shooter to load gun
to either CoF specification or division capacity and reholster.
Shooter Ready: Question asked by SO to make sure the shooter is
ready to engage the CoF.
Standby: Command given to the shooter to freeze in the start
position before the audible start signal.
Finger: Alert given to shooter to remove his finger from the trigger
guard.
Muzzle: Alert given to shooter to maintain muzzle control within
the muzzle safe points. Safety Officers may need to physically
push the shooter’s arms to get the muzzle downrange if they do not
immediately move at the command.
Stop: Alert given to the shooter to stop all shooting and movement.
Cover: Alert given to the shooter for using improper cover.
Unload and Show Clear: Command given to the shooter to unload
his weapon and show the SO a clear chamber or cylinder.
Slide Down or Cylinder Closed: Command given to the shooter to
lower the slide or close the cylinder of an empty weapon.
Hammer Down: Command given to shooter to dry fire into the
berm to show a clear weapon.
Holster: Command given to the shooter to put the weapon back in
the holster.
Range is Safe: Command stating that the shooter has holstered his
weapon and it is safe to proceed downrange.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm an advocate in the area of range staff consistently using only the "official" words. The words were chosen to communicate specific responses from the shooter. Additionally, with non-English speaking shooters currently being in the mix, it is essential to use only the standard rulebook commands.

I am a USPSA Chief Range Officer (CRO since 1986 or so) and an IDPA Safety Officer Instructor. The two sports do have different rules, so the commands are necessarily different.

In the area of range commands, the USPSA "make ready" signifies the beginning of a gun handling, dry fire period, which culminates in loading the pistol. The IDPA "load and make ready" signifies load the gun to division capacity without the extra gun handling and dry fire period permitted in USPSA.

In the unload cycle, USPSA rules put the final "is the chamber really clear" onus back to the shooter. If the gun goes bang, its a DQ. In IDPA the final responsibility for the chamber being really unloaded falls on the SO. Both activities make the chief bay SO/RO in charge of declaring "range is safe" which designates its time to go downrange. From a personal safety standpoint, it's always best to wait until the SO/RO starts downrange and then follow them.

The USPSA RO class is a two day activity, which includes range time. The IDPA SO class is a one day activity, which includes range time. It is light years better than the original "watch the Bill & Hack video for 1 hr". Those of us early IDPA SOI's initially had to write our own class curriculum; mine was around 8 hrs long and included a live-fire range segment. The current IDPA class, utilizing the IDPA HQ provided lesson plan, makes for a long day, at least 9 hours. It is on the edge of becoming a two day program. Both have a written test to pass. USPSA has an annual refresher exam; IDPA hasn't moved into doing that at this time.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is good info. It seems like someone was trying to get an RO class together a couple of months ago. Not exactly sure what happened, I think we had plenty of interest. Any idea who was organizing it and what happened?

I had a couple of posts out there on the local forums to gauge interest which we had. The problem I ran into is that the class cost $800. You have to find a club willing to host the class, pick up the instructor from the airport, house the instructor, then pony up $700-800 to pay for it all. I could not find a club that was jumping at the idea. I am planning to put up the money myself this summer once my busy season at work is over. If I can't find a club to host then we are SOL!

Last edited:

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm an advocate in the area of range staff consistently using only the "official" words. The words were chosen to communicate specific responses from the shooter. Additionally, with non-English speaking shooters currently being in the mix, it is essential to use only the standard rulebook commands.

I am a USPSA Chief Range Officer (CRO since 1986 or so) and an IDPA Safety Officer Instructor. The two sports do have different rules, so the commands are necessarily different.

In the area of range commands, the USPSA "make ready" signifies the beginning of a gun handling, dry fire period, which culminates in loading the pistol. The IDPA "load and make ready" signifies load the gun to division capacity without the extra gun handling and dry fire period permitted in USPSA.

In the unload cycle, USPSA rules put the final "is the chamber really clear" onus back to the shooter. If the gun goes bang, its a DQ. In IDPA the final responsibility for the chamber being really unloaded falls on the SO. Both activities make the chief bay SO/RO in charge of declaring "range is safe" which designates its time to go downrange. From a personal safety standpoint, it's always best to wait until the SO/RO starts downrange and then follow them.

The USPSA RO class is a two day activity, which includes range time. The IDPA SO class is a one day activity, which includes range time. It is light years better than the original "watch the Bill & Hack video for 1 hr". Those of us early IDPA SOI's initially had to write our own class curriculum; mine was around 8 hrs long and included a live-fire range segment. The current IDPA class, utilizing the IDPA HQ provided lesson plan, makes for a long day, at least 9 hours. It is on the edge of becoming a two day program. Both have a written test to pass. USPSA has an annual refresher exam; IDPA hasn't moved into doing that at this time.

Great post! I really want to take your class BUZZDRAW. Ive heard it's a good one.

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Jack. What would it take for you to put on an USPSA RO class? If you are interested, I can think of about fifteen people that would be interested.

Latest posts

Top Bottom