Raw Milk

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I got some in a juice jug from a friends parent's dairy farm. Best. Milk. Ever.

That was my parent's farm. It is good milk. I'm not even a milk lover, but once you go fresh, you don't go back.

I purchased raw goat's milk from a place down in Slaughterville (I think?) a few years back. We were trying to find a suitable milk for my son, who had terrible cow's milk allergies and couldn't take standard formula. We settled on soy ultimately, but we gave the goat milk a try.

It was, kinda funky tasting. Tasted like dust was in the milk. Unsure if that is because it was raw milk, or goat's milk.

Neither, it was probably the way the goats/milk were handled. My parents would test every once in a while, and most people preferred the fresh goats milk over the cows milk. It is almost naturally homogenized though, very little cream rises. It's also very susceptible to what the goats eat, and what the milk is exposed to after, as it will absorb smells very easily and if the goats eat weeds, it can come through in the milk.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
According to an analysis by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), between 1993 and 2006 more than 1500 people in the United States became sick from drinking raw milk or eating cheese made from raw milk.

Oh my GOD! 1500 people out of 300 million got sick. Figure that across the 13 years that those 1500 got sick and its barely over 100 folks a year.

The end of the world as we know it has come. Roll out the SWAT teams. Kill the cows. Hire more federal agents to - wait - what?

OHHHHH! Now I get it - hire more federal agents. I see - its all about control - doesn't really have a lot to do with health standards does it?

Maybe Reddog 1 IS on to something.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Neither, it was probably the way the goats/milk were handled. My parents would test every once in a while, and most people preferred the fresh goats milk over the cows milk. It is almost naturally homogenized though, very little cream rises. It's also very susceptible to what the goats eat, and what the milk is exposed to after, as it will absorb smells very easily and if the goats eat weeds, it can come through in the milk.

Makes sense, that goats are far less picky about their intake than dairy cows. Thanks for sharing.

It wasn't disgusting, just had a really funny finish (to borrow a wine/whiskey term). I would say it tasted maybe sweeter than cow's milk. But this batch at least tasted like dust (like when working in your attic, and get it in your mouth). I would definitely try it (goat milk) again. If I found raw cow milk near me, I would certainly try it as well.

Funny thing was, my wife wouldn't drink it even though she got it for our baby. She was too creeped out by the goat part. Call me weird, but I tried about all the milk/formula/baby food we got him because I was curious what he was eating. I figured if he had to eat it, I might as well see what it is.

Latest posts

Top Bottom