Re: Need Help!! Value on Pre-64 Win. Model 70

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey, guys/gals. I picked up a Winchester model 70 yesterday. It is a 1952 model. It has be rebarreled from the origional to .308 Norma Magnum!

This gun is in remarkable shape. The blueing is excellent, with the only wear on the muzzle and around the sharp points on the boly release. The stock is factory high cheek monty-carlo and is probably 90%. It has a few small nicks and scratches but is really nice. The gun has Leupold single piece mount and rings and a leupold Vari X III 3.5 x 10 x 40 scope. This is a magnificiant gun!

My problem is this... I don't have a damned clue what it is worth!! I have looked at all the online crap and gunbroker, but the prices are all across the board. Is anyone out there a Winchester guy and knows about these things??? I am not sure if I want to sell it, but I guess if it is worth enough it would be hard to say No. Anyway, Help if you can.. --Thx Dave

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're sure it's a pre-64? The S/N should be under 500,000 I believe, and it should have an external extractor.

Of course, the biggest bad thing about it is that the barrel has been changed which would likely lower the value considerably.

Pictures?

I have a Pre-64 .243 that according to the collectors I have showed it to should bring in upwards of $1500. But, it's all original.

I know that doesn't give you any "perfect" answers, but maybe it should help give you an idea?

Gus Petch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey, guys/gals. I picked up a Winchester model 70 yesterday. It is a 1952 model. It has be rebarreled from the origional to .308 Norma Magnum!

This gun is in remarkable shape. The blueing is excellent, with the only wear on the muzzle and around the sharp points on the boly release. The stock is factory high cheek monty-carlo and is probably 90%. It has a few small nicks and scratches but is really nice. The gun has Leupold single piece mount and rings and a leupold Vari X III 3.5 x 10 x 40 scope. This is a magnificiant gun!

My problem is this... I don't have a damned clue what it is worth!! I have looked at all the online crap and gunbroker, but the prices are all across the board. Is anyone out there a Winchester guy and knows about these things??? I am not sure if I want to sell it, but I guess if it is worth enough it would be hard to say No. Anyway, Help if you can.. --Thx Dave
If it's the gun you have in the classifieds, it's not a Model 70. The pictures I can see are of a sporterized 1917 Enfield. (They were made during WWI by Winchester along with Eddystone Arsenal.) The work would have been by a gunsmith, not Winchester's custom shop. Hope that helps.

Reaction score
I hate to break this to ya, but since it's been re-barreled, it has virtually no collector value, except to part it out as a parts gun (which granted, can still fetch a lot, mind you), UNLESS you restore it back to an original caliber by buying a parts gun barrel of gunbroker, etc. and putting it back to an original configuration. Then it will have a significant value, greater than the sum of its parts, and will be actually "look-up-able" via Fjestad, etc. As it is, it's gonna be very hard to peg - either as a parts gun for someone who deals in them a lot, or it's just worth what someone's willing to pay for it, if it catches their fancy. But in that config, you cannot get a reliable figure from the blue book.

Latest posts

Top Bottom