recoil comparison chart

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninefan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chuck Hawk says that a 3" magnum 12 gauge load is equivalent to a .378 Weatherby Magnum rifle (1180 recoil factor on that chart).

I've shot a handful and I'd agree that they are pretty brutal loads.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 300wby shooting 165gr, about 450 on the chart (I'm estimating, the chart doesn't have 165gr). It's not as bad as you might think. pretty considerable muzzle jump because I don't have a brake on it. I also have a 338RUM (not on the chart) and I have to admit I'm a little scared of it. I've had it a little over a year now and I haven't even put a scope on it. I pretty much convinced myself not to shoot it until I have a brake installed. That's how I came across the chart in the first place, researching my own pain tolerance.

streetglideok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Curious where my 300RUM ranks on the list. Especially against the 375H&H on layaway I'll pickup later this month. Problem I think with putting the 45/70 on that chart is the drastic difference in loads. The mild loads from remington etc are going to score low on that chart. The teeth rattlers from Buffalo Bore in a guidegun will score up there with the 338s easily.

Latest posts

Top Bottom