Remington Core-Lokt downloaded?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clackamas Jack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tested some Remington Core-Lokt today in my 264 Win Mag. Its been the only available ammo I have been able to find at a semi reasonable price. I have some boxes of HSM in the 140gr Gameking and 130 grain Berger VLD plus a few Nosler Trophy Grades 130 grain Accubonds. Everything but the Remington seems to have more recoil and punch. It feels like I am getting more velocity from all the other brands but the Remington recoil is pretty tame. Have you notice any performance differences or lack of performance from the classic Remington Core-Lokt?

Clackamas Jack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you have access to a chronograph? Clock several differrent varieties and see what's up.
Sadly I do not at the moment. Right now I going off felt recoil. Most stuff I cannot tell much a difference except the Nosler stuff is a little more stout than all the HSM loadings which feels the same as everything else I tried even vintage Remington, but this new Remington stuff is a noticable difference. I've always kinda felt like 264 Win Mag felt like a 308 Win recoil wise except some of the hot loadings were a little bit more but honestly this new Remington stuff was feeling more like 25-06 or even a 6.5 creedmoor. I cannot prove it at the moment but if I want something like a 6.5 creedmoor i wouldn't pay premium for a 264 Win Mag for the rifle and ammo. I want those 130's to go 3100+ fps and 140's to go 3000+ fps. I might just shoot the Remington boxes up and reload it once I get my reloading bench setup.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Something that can tame recoil is bullet bearing surface or jacket/core alloy and how tight the bullet is in the case.

When I was shooting different powders in 30-06 and .308 I found RL15 will recoil a lot less than IMR 4064 or Varget and at same velocities.
Odd how that works sometimes.

If you are worried about the performance on a critter you can do some testing.

I tested bullet performance on deer necks that I harvested during bow season.

I bet you could duplicate that with some other meat.
I first did it with a 55 gr V-max because I was from the old school where bigger was better.

If those R-P rounds are very accurate I would do some testing on meat.
I have not found store ammo to be accurate in any of my rifles.

Latest posts

Top Bottom