red dot + ar-15 = bad time at the range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a lower end red dot, it was a bear to sight in too, and I still wouldn't call it zeroed. At 25 yards I can keep my shots somewhere in the neighborhood of an 6-8 inch group. Once I used a little loctite(be sure to use the right color :-)) to keep everything in place I had a bit more consistency but I can still shoot TONS better with the open sights than I can with the red dot, I have just accepted that an optic of this quality is meant for quick target acquisition and not for precision accuracy. My riser is a see-thru so I can still use the open sights and that's working out for me so far.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That is starting to make some sense. I know it is a cheap red dot, I don't want to start spending money until I know for sure that is the way I want to go, it was given to me so I haven't spent any money yet. My brother just got an Eotech, I'll be checking it out soon. So far, it seems like a red dot isn't much different than the iron sights on the AR.

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A RDS will, without question, increase the speed of target acquisition, and accuracy in unconventional positions. The argument is whether or not a cheap RDS is better than irons. Personally, I do not believe they are. The issues they introduce are not outweighed by the benefits.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For sighting in EoTech's and AimPoints, I've had great luck just following the factory manual. The other comments in the thread, properly tighten, etc definitely apply. As I tighten the mount screws of anything in a 1913 mount, I put some toward-the-muzzle tension on the device, so that it locks in place where it belongs.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So far, it seems like a red dot isn't much different than the iron sights on the AR.

A quality red dot is far different than iron sights on the AR.

Like liliysdad said, parallax free design allows for accuracy in non-typical firing positions and of course there is the rapid target aquisition.

Don't judge red dots off a $30 dollar POS. I wasn't a believer either until I was issued, and used, an Aimpoint.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A quality red dot is far different than iron sights on the AR.

Like liliysdad said, parallax free design allows for accuracy in non-typical firing positions and of course there is the rapid target aquisition.

Don't judge red dots off a $30 dollar POS. I wasn't a believer either until I was issued, and used, an Aimpoint.

It sounds like I may be better off right now by taking this thing off. Aimpoint is definately out of my price range. I'll try my brothers Eotech and see what I think until I get some money, or sell a gun.

For everyones input, thank you.

pickett235

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
A quality red dot is worth the money. I first used an eo tech at the USSA 230 course. It was very fast to get on target up close. We started sighting in at 25 yds and worked back to 200 yards. We also did some shooting at 300 yds and i was surprised by being able to hit 10" plates fairly regularly.

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If this is just a plinker, there are cheaper alternatives to the Aimpoint/EoTech class. Vortex makes some pretty solid RDS that will work fine for the range, as does Primary Arms.

Latest posts

Top Bottom