Red Dot or Tactical Sights with AR-15

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clampett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a S&W M&P 15-22P. What's the best way to go about putting a quick aquisition type scope on it, without having to jack with the open sights on it? Will a typical red dot work through the existing sights or do you need a 1/2" - 3/4" riser.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're typical red dot will have 1/3 cowitness. Meaning, your iron sights will sit in the lower 1/3 of your optic. I'm running a vortex sparc on my 15-22 and like it a lot.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I run a Primary Arms M4 red dot on mine. It is fast to pickup the dot and seems well made for the money. It will 1/3 co-witness so iron sights are still usable.

K

Kings & Ar-15's

I think AR optics are one of the most discussed topics in the gun world today. I've read a lot on various set ups from $50-$2000. Throught all of my research I've come to the conclusion that it's really just going to be up the the "type" of shooting you plan on doing, the "budget" you're working with your personal likes and dislikes. I would advise looking around and physically looking at the set ups and or even try some cheaper versions. You can always sell the old stuff as you transition from setup to setup

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are looking for just doing some fun shooting I'd look at Primary arms. If you are looking for "Operator" levels of durability and reliability then I'd look into the more exensive stuff. IMO the more expensive stuff really isnt necessary for 80-90% of AR owners but by all means if you've got the money to spend and you want to go for it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom