Red dots with magnifiers..??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Other than aligning the center of the magnifier with the dot of the optic, I don't see how it would be any different than an EOtech or such.

But that is not from experience.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I personally never understood why people want to get a dot sight and then add a magnifier to it. It puts another unit on the rifle and adds more weight. Why not get a single variable magnification scope like the DPMS-1 and be done with it?

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I personally never understood why people want to get a dot sight and then add a magnifier to it. It puts another unit on the rifle and adds more weight. Why not get a single variable magnification scope like the DPMS-1 and be done with it?

I agree with this. Get an all in one like the vortex pst or burris xtr 1-4x and call it good. A magnifier with a red dot is a lot more cumbersome.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Most variable-powered scopes don't do a true 1x (unless you get into the really expensive ones) so you won't ever see your irons clearly through the optic.

The Millet DMS-1 is a super-heavy bastard (18oz) where as the Primary Arms Micro and Magnifyer combo are a hair under depending on mount.

To the OP - depending on which red-dot optic you're talking about (i.e. not an Airsoft red-dot as some of the LED's used in crappy red-dots wash completely out in magnification), yes a magnifier will usually work with it. Some Red-dot optics have threaded eye-pieces and you can thread the magnifier right into it which reduces weight and extra crap on the AR.

I personally don't care for flip-to-side mounts. They look cool, but I've yet to own one that actually worked well enough that it justified the cost (that includes the Samson) or the extra hassle.

A QD throw-lever mount on the magnifier works well (that's what I've got on my Son's AR - he uses it to plink at longer ranges and to hunt) since the magnifier has no affect on the zero of the actual Red-dot optic.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my experience, magnifiers work better on Eotechs. The reticle just lends itself more and it's a bit easier getting the magnifier to align properly. Aimpoints can work, but it defeats the point if your dot is 4 moa. 2 MOA aimpoints are workable.

You lose all the advantages with red dots when using a magnifier and parallax issues come up again, so it's important that your magnifier is aligned and you are properly viewing through the magnifier and red dot straight as possible.

As for the Aimpoint micro, it might sit to low for a magnifier to align properly. Haven't tried with a micro, but off the top of my head, it might be a pain getting a mag to align with it.

I prefer a dedicated 1-4x scope like a burris tac30 or Hi-Lux Leatherwood. The downside is that the 2x and 3x setting is almost always wasted. You're always either at 1x or 4x.

Alternatively, I've been digging using a fixed 4x scope or dedicated 4x-8x scope, with a micro dot off to the side at a 45 degree angle off the rail.

Now I'm just back to running irons on one of my AR's and an Aimpoint on my other.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most variable-powered scopes don't do a true 1x (unless you get into the really expensive ones) so you won't ever see your irons clearly through the optic.

The Millet DMS-1 is a super-heavy bastard (18oz) where as the Primary Arms Micro and Magnifyer combo are a hair under depending on mount.

To the OP - depending on which red-dot optic you're talking about (i.e. not an Airsoft red-dot as some of the LED's used in crappy red-dots wash completely out in magnification), yes a magnifier will usually work with it. Some Red-dot optics have threaded eye-pieces and you can thread the magnifier right into it which reduces weight and extra crap on the AR.

I personally don't care for flip-to-side mounts. They look cool, but I've yet to own one that actually worked well enough that it justified the cost (that includes the Samson) or the extra hassle.

A QD throw-lever mount on the magnifier works well (that's what I've got on my Son's AR - he uses it to plink at longer ranges and to hunt) since the magnifier has no affect on the zero of the actual Red-dot optic.

I had a Millet DMS-1 and yes, that bish was heavy....I picked up a Primary Arms micro and a 6x mag...thinking they would align and I could use that way, but it doesn't seem to work, I look through it and the red dot is up in the 1 o'clock position....I have the standard flip to the side mount (primary arms as well). Am I just doing something wrong, or is it just not "compatible"?

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a Millet DMS-1 and yes, that bish was heavy....I picked up a Primary Arms micro and a 6x mag...thinking they would align and I could use that way, but it doesn't seem to work, I look through it and the red dot is up in the 1 o'clock position....I have the standard flip to the side mount (primary arms as well). Am I just doing something wrong, or is it just not "compatible"?

Most mounts and magnifiers are meant for the fullsized Aimpoints in mind or Eotechs. Again, I haven't tried with a microdot, but I think it's going to take a lot of work and searching for a mount that will align right with the smaller microdot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom