Red dots with magnifiers..??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most variable-powered scopes don't do a true 1x (unless you get into the really expensive ones) so you won't ever see your irons clearly through the optic.

I'm running the Burris XTR 1-4x and it is a true 1x. At the same time, with this optic, there is no need for iron sights. It has an etched reticle in the glass.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a Millet DMS-1 and yes, that bish was heavy....I picked up a Primary Arms micro and a 6x mag...thinking they would align and I could use that way, but it doesn't seem to work, I look through it and the red dot is up in the 1 o'clock position....I have the standard flip to the side mount (primary arms as well). Am I just doing something wrong, or is it just not "compatible"?

Is your micro on the riser (inserted piece that comes with the mount and basically puts it at lower 1/3 co-witness)? If so, then the high QD magnifier mount from Primary Arms will work fine. I don't know about their flip-to-side mount, but I'd imagine it's as disappointing as all the others I've tried. It's very difficult to put a moving part on any component of a rifle optic and make it work perfectly, be lightweight, and not have any issues.

I'm running the Burris XTR 1-4x and it is a true 1x. At the same time, with this optic, there is no need for iron sights. It has an etched reticle in the glass.

Hmmm. I was under the impression that the XTR was not a true 1x optic. That's cool.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm. I was under the impression that the XTR was not a true 1x optic. That's cool.

I don't see any magnification whatsoever when on 1x. Wish you were closer so you could check it out sometime. I highly recommend this optic. I have it mounted on an 18" AR. I'd like to find some lighter rings though. The xtr rings are nice (built like a tank), but they are heavy.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is your micro on the riser (inserted piece that comes with the mount and basically puts it at lower 1/3 co-witness)? If so, then the high QD magnifier mount from Primary Arms will work fine. I don't know about their flip-to-side mount, but I'd imagine it's as disappointing as all the others I've tried. It's very difficult to put a moving part on any component of a rifle optic and make it work perfectly, be lightweight, and not have any issues.

Yes, its on a riser.....so what is the difference between 1/3 co-witness and say..full co-witness? It seems to match up fine with front and rear sights.....now I did learn that the 6x mag that I have has internal azimuth, all I had to do was mess with the two adjustment screws and now they match up.....guess we'll see how well it works the next time I take it to the range. If not, then looks like it will probably go up in the Classifieds...lol

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1/3 co-witness is the ability to see your irons in the lower 1/3 of the optic. True co-witness is your red dot and irons lining up in the middle of the optic.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, its on a riser.....so what is the difference between 1/3 co-witness and say..full co-witness? It seems to match up fine with front and rear sights.....now I did learn that the 6x mag that I have has internal azimuth, all I had to do was mess with the two adjustment screws and now they match up.....guess we'll see how well it works the next time I take it to the range. If not, then looks like it will probably go up in the Classifieds...lol

Glad to hear that man. I wasn't even thinking about the fact that Primary Arms magnifier was adjustable.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
jakerz said:
1/3 co-witness is the ability to see your irons in the lower 1/3 of the optic. True co-witness is your red dot and irons lining up in the middle of the optic.

Ah, gotcha.... Makes sense.. So mine is definitely 1/3 then.

Latest posts

Top Bottom