Red wigglers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nimaro

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I'm looking to start a compost bin and from what I am reading I need to find red wiggler worms to kick things off. Does anyone have an idea where to find some in the tulsa/okc metro area? Also any tips or ideas on composting are greatly appreciated. Let the learning begin!

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
are you starting a compost bin or a worm casting bin? If you are starting a compost pile outside you can pretty much just go dig up any earthworms and put them in there. Mostly they will find it themselves. Composting is easy peasy and some folks just over complicate a really natural process :-)

Nimaro

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've read several different blogs/articles on it since its all new to me. Just looking to compost what would go down the disposal etc and make some decent compost for the beds really.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The best compost pile I ever had was in a little kiddie pool, and I literally threw everything in there except any meat or oily products. Leaves, grass clippings, excess food, even shredded paper, sawdust etc and about once a week give it a good stir with a metal rake or hoe or whatever worked. Also you will want to water it every now and then if its not raining a lot. you don't want to over work your compost because what makes it compost the debris is the natural heat that builds up inside of the pile. So don't go crazy stirring it up just when you add a lot of new stuff just sort of mix it around. It really doesn't take that long and if its healthy etc it wont smell anything other than earthy and I happen to like that smell very much :-) You will get worms in the compost, My kiddie pool compost had the GIANT grubs in it I guess they were normal grubs that got extremely healthy on the compost because they looked like the giant ones you see on survival shows that people eat LOL I just picked them out when I used the dirt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom