Refinishing stock on mosin 91/30

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert871

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So it was a bit banged up, but I could not stand the nasty feeling of that flakey cosmoline and how easily it scratched off. So I took some oooo steel wool and cleaned up all the metal exposed on the gun. Then I sanded the wood with 100 grit sand paper yo remove that old finish. Then since the finest grit I had laying around was 150 I hit it with that before putting it back together. I originally planned on getting the materials and doing a dark stain and a shiny polycoat or something but after shooting it yesterday with that lightly remaining stained naked blonde bircheood (at least I think it is birch) I fell in love.

........ So now I am just going to sand it with 250 and then maybe 400 grit and put like 2-3 coats of Linseed oil over a week.

I do not have any before pics but I will take some later of the now and the final.

When I shot several rounds and the hand guard started to sweat what I assume is stain. Should my newly proposed plan to finish it be harmed when I shoot it like this?

Latest posts

Top Bottom