Refrigerator was dead this morning.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Woke up this morning and the beast was dead to the world. check power at breakers, all is good. Turns out there is a fuse on the control board that was blown, good right? Nooooooooooooo you see LG soldered the fuse to the board, so they want you to buy a new board, only $250. Don't have the money right now, how can I fix this?

I clipped the old fuse off, leaving as much of the stem to the board that I could. I then soldered in place a couple fuse clips, and inserted a new fuse, PRESTO, refrigerator is up and running again, WOOOOHOOOOOO.

tiasman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I woulda been paying some repairman 500 bucks "book rate" to replace the mother board. Wish I had the guts/knowledge to work on stuff like that myself. But now I know who to call. :respect:

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really, really wish I knew how to do stuff like this....

Well I am not going to lie and say I knew it was going to work, it was a shot in the dark. I spent 23 years as a mechanic in a factory, during that time I had to improvise a lot. I figured worse case, I would have to order a new control board, which is where I was at anyway, so I had nothing to lose. I had to buy the solder gun, NOTE, get a chisel point gun for this, the one I got worked but was a differant type of gun. A chisel point would have made it easier.
I spent about $30 in parts including the solder gun today, and the repair works, one happy guy.

briarcreekguy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad that you thought of that, I was going to suggest that very fix. When I was studying electronics back in the dark ages of the late 70's, we spent a lot of time trouble shooting all kinds of things as part of our training. We would often come across fuses soldered to the boards, and that was the standard fix. De-solder the old fuse and replace it with a fuse holder, and the replace the fuse. The worst thing that will usually happen, is that there is some other component that is fried, that caused the fuse to blow in the first place, and then the new fuse will blow also. Then that leads to more trouble shooting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom