reload stuff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lewis F Jones

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to this site and to Oklahoma. I'm getting a new SA XD sub compact in .40 S&W for Christmas and want to reload for it. I prefer the big and slow concept of the .45 auto at about 830 f/s. My stuff is so old though, I had to go get the shell holders info from the local reload dealer, Dongs. When I asked for help selecting a new powder they were reluctant to recommend (understandable- liability and all), but my idea of customer service is to help a customer, not tell them you're on your own. My reloading experience is with Unique, Win 231 and Bullseye. The new Hornady manual doesn't even list those powders for the .40 S&W. Anyone out there willing to share a pet load or offer advice as to "Blue Dot" vs any of the others? What are the characteristics of the powders ie: how do they behave and or perform? Any advice is appreciated.

Thx, Lewis

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi Lewis,

You need to get a good reloading manual or load information. Many of the powder manufacturers have online loading data as well.

Keep in mind that 40s&w is a much higher pressure cartridge than 45acp and you must inspect brass more carefully or know its history. Many 40s&w weapons have loose chambers and hot loads will "guppy" brass.

Since you like heavy and slow, 180gr will be the way to go for 40s&w.

Good luck,

Alan

penman53

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I shot IPSC and loaded my 40 cal S and W with I believe 4.7 grains of Tite Group. It made major and was a managable round Look up IPSC loads on the net and you can get all kinds of loading data on the 40.

.308_Shooter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a big fan of Tite Group, as well. It seems to produce crisp, clean, sharp rounds. I have also been impressed with the resulting groups. Of course, how much I load depends on the normal variables - lead type, desired energy levels, use of the load, etc.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to this site and to Oklahoma. I'm getting a new SA XD sub compact in .40 S&W for Christmas and want to reload for it. I prefer the big and slow concept of the .45 auto at about 830 f/s. My stuff is so old though, I had to go get the shell holders info from the local reload dealer, Dongs. When I asked for help selecting a new powder they were reluctant to recommend (understandable- liability and all), but my idea of customer service is to help a customer, not tell them you're on your own. My reloading experience is with Unique, Win 231 and Bullseye. The new Hornady manual doesn't even list those powders for the .40 S&W. Anyone out there willing to share a pet load or offer advice as to "Blue Dot" vs any of the others? What are the characteristics of the powders ie: how do they behave and or perform? Any advice is appreciated.

Thx, Lewis

Lewis, welcome to the madness.

There is a forum called "Ammo Talk" 'way down at the bottom of the forums that is likely to get more responses to reloading questions.

I never use any recipe from the internet until I confirm it with at least one hard copy publication, preferably two. Likelihood of a bad recommendation on this forum is probably low, but severity of possible consequences can be catastrophic.

Again, welcome. CB

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lewis, welcome to the madness.

There is a forum called "Ammo Talk" 'way down at the bottom of the forums that is likely to get more responses to reloading questions.

I never use any recipe from the internet until I confirm it with at least one hard copy publication, preferably two. Likelihood of a bad recommendation on this forum is probably low, but severity of possible consequences can be catastrophic.

Again, welcome. CB

This, my man is good advice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom