Reloaded 9mm . . .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sig-man

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, so before I got out of the military, I got my hands on a whole bunch of fired 9mm brass. Took it to my Dad who reloaded what could be reloaded. He handed me about 5 ammo cans full of the cardboard and styrofoam boxes and two ammo cans of loose rounds.

That was about 15 years ago. Since then, the ammo cans have sat in a shed and two garages. Not climate controlled, but the seal on the ammo cans is still good. The cardboard boxes are still good.

My question then, is this. Will/would this ammo still be good to shoot? Or do I need to separate the bullets, dump the powder and primers and start all over?

Thanks,

Ted

Woodcutter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you still have doubts, you could pull a few and see if the powder has deteriorated. However, if the powder has deteriorated, I do not think this necessarily makes them dangerous (I am not sure), but you might get some squib loads.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Send me one of the ammo cans and I'll try them out for you and let you know.

Just kidding, you should be fine.
Ammo usually last for a long time if it isn't exposed to too much of the elements.

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In 1973, I was given 550 rounds of 45 acp that was headstamped 1918. Not one round failed to fire. I did have to carefully clean my pistol after every range session.

okie98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was in Greece at the time and had ZERO chance of bringing it back so the only answer was shoot it. It was all in the original GI boxes when I got it. Sure wish I had saved them, now. Oh well, hindsight is always 20-20.

Latest posts

Top Bottom