Reloading for the 9mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
MG is hard to beat for jacketed bullets. If you don't want a full case just split them with a friend or something.

Cast lead will be your cheapest option but with 9mm it can open up a can of worms. You may have to try a few different lead bullets to see what you have the best luck with.

You better shoot a whole lot of 9mm to make the equipment investment worthwhile.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I look at reloading 9mm a bit differently. It gives you many more options on loads. Especially if you shoot 147gr, like me :D
Much softer recoil on the customized loads and once you start going over a standard 115gr bullet the costs go up much faster on store bought ammo. Not to mention when you couldn't even find 9mm I was cranking them out by the 1000's. Dustin is right, the more you have the more you shoot!

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are reloading strictly to save money, you may be dissappointed. If you are doing it because it seems a natural extension of the shooting sports, you will enjoy it more. It is a great opportunity to learn and teach. But, that being said, I, for one got in it with an eye on saving money. I doubt that I have. But I still don't care.

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are reloading strictly to save money, you may be dissappointed. If you are doing it because it seems a natural extension of the shooting sports, you will enjoy it more. It is a great opportunity to learn and teach. But, that being said, I, for one got in it with an eye on saving money. I doubt that I have. But I still don't care.

Yeah, I'm the same way. I got into it as well to save money but all I do now is just shoot more. So, technically I'm still saving money yes, but now I can shoot more. I really enjoy the reloading part of it though, taking pride in my work. Getting to see the different results from the changes you make and being able to tailor the rounds for each of your guns. I've got 147 gr J&K leads for shooting outdoors and 124 gr MG's for shooting indoors (less smoke). I've got a load specifically for my XD9 which i can put 10 rounds literally through the same hole at 15 yards with it. That same load opens way up for my Beretta 92FS, so I had to make a load for it. Now, they are both happy and so am I!

.38/.357 is the way to go to save some serious money though. Federal American Eagle .357 Magnum 158gr's run about $22-25 per 50. I can load up 100 rounds for right at $11 using J&K bullets, primers from H&H, and my powders. So if you are in it to save money then thats the way to go, because I only pay 1/4th the cost of factory ammo.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well said Shawn.
You won't save any money.
Nope you'll just shoot more.
Then there's the added feature of being able to custom load.

Latest posts

Top Bottom