Reloading Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caseman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m new to reloading and I have loaded about 200 rounds of .45 ACP with 230gr FMJ’s and about 100 rounds of .45 ACP with 200gr jacketed match bullets. Tonight I was going to load some 185 gr. jacketed match bullets that’s where I started having problems. Out of about 20 attempts only 5 did not peel the brass down on the casing when I seated the bullet. I’m using a Lee turrent press with Lee dies. The brass is once shot Blazer brass and I checked the diameter of the 185 grain bullets and they are fine. Any ideas? Thanks.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is the rear of the bullet pushing brass down, or is the brass peeling away from the bullet?

First case, not enough bell. Second case, too much bell, or maladjusted crimper. Your Lee dies probably came with a separate collet type crimper.

As suggested above, a picture would help. CB

Caseman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I'm not sure how/when it happened, but the extension for the powder dispenser was not screwed all the way down which didn't put pressure on the expander to bell the case. Strange thing is I had to use two pair of pliers to get it screwed down. Tested with a few casings and it works now. Got another hundred in the tumbler getting clean.

cernstus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
having been through all the lee products I can tell you confidently that most every problem has already been diagnosed and is found on you tube. There is also a pretty good website, I think its loadmastervideo.com
They probably have the cure to just about anything that might ail ya. After a year I just gave up and bought a dillon square deal.

oknavy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Strange thing is I had to use two pair of pliers to get it screwed down. Tested with a few casings and it works now.

That IS strange. When using the riser, you remove the hex-shaped fitting from the top of the powder-through-expander die. Then screw in the riser.

After you get the powder-through-expander die seated and adjusted in your turret, the last item is to screw the powder disk measure on top of the riser. All of this should be finger tight...or something isn't right.

Latest posts

Top Bottom