Reloading table.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JR18

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When we built our house we ended up with some extra LVL beams that were 18" wide by 1.5" thick. They made a great bench top. I still put an extra 1x6" under all of my presses though when I screwed them on.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Regarding the choice of a tool chest for a bench, I am not really a fan of a reloading bench I cant sit down at.
I also prefer a bench that is higher than a standard desk when working my single stage presses.

A reloading bench does not need a lot of depth, so I have shelves at the back of mine that hold some of the stuff used frequently.

If you go with a tool chest, your standing at it.
Will the top be the right height to stand at for a few hours and run the press without cramping your shoulder or back?

The tool chest idea is nice, and would give adequate storage for most reloading stuff, so that's a plus, and you could move it around.
That may not be so good. Stroking the press handle produces vertical and lateral loads. If the wheels dont lock well, you will need chocks or you will chase the bench all over the place.

Also if you use it in a garage, and the floor is sloped to the door, your bench top wont be level.
Primers, cases, projectiles are round and like to roll. I don't know how a progressive press will like being out of level.

The fact that it has locking drawers is a plus if your storing exciting stuff in it.

I would look very hard at how that top is constructed and secured to the cart.
As a work bench, it just has to sit there and look cute.
As a reloading bench your press is mounted to it and your pulling that top around relative to cart.
If its tied down with 6 number 10 wood screws, it wont hold up.
You also don't want to tweak the chest frame. These homeowner class chests they sell at the big box stores are not that robust.
They are intended to be a chest of drawers and a place to set stuff. not a place to mount a vise and beat it with a hammer.

A good heavy top will counter most of the pushing and pulling.
That which is why 2" thick, doors, etc. are recommended.
That could be added easily enough.

Also think about how the press is configured.
The 1100 is all above the bench, but a single stage, if you add one, will dip below and interfere with drawers unless its on the end of the chest.
Same for a bullet sizing press if you get into casting.

Don't assume because it looks cool in your minds eye it will work for your body.
Set up the press on something temporarily and figure out what you need in the way of height and working room around it to be comfortable.
Load several boxes of ammo.
Check the measurements for height, width and how much of a top lip you have.
You may find you need a bit of an overhang to get close enough to work comfortably.

If the rolling tool chest meets your ergonomic needs and budget, verify it looks stout enough and then go for it.

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you go for a stand up bench make sure you have plenty of vertical space. I have a tall stand up bench and was only left with about 4 inches between the ceiling and the top of my collators.

Latest posts

Top Bottom