Reloading - too much pressure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is what happens when you experiment with components.
6PPC, 26.0 grains of H332 - starting load for Lapua brass, loaded in Norma.
Flattened primer, light brass line above rim, felt the insides with a wire - sure enough feels like a "bump".

Looks like pictures in the book :comfort:

i55.tinypic.com_2untrnt.jpg

Watch your brass for pressure - loaded again that would've been a mess.

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had an '06 case seperate like that when I first started reloading, luckily it was just in my die, good thing you caught it, I still have the die with the case stuck in it with no way to get it out

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That type case seperation is usually caused by pushing the shoulder too far back when full length resizing.
The case gets pushed into the chamber a few thousandths by the firing pin and when it fires, the case
expansion grips the chamber walls and the case stretches back out to the bolt face.

I use case guages to verify that I have the die set correctly before I do a run of cases. This is especially
an issue with my Dillons. I recommend that you verify headspace with that batch of reloads.. Blitzfike

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That type case seperation is usually caused by pushing the shoulder too far back when full length resizing.

The brass is virgin - but you might be right. I can see primer pushed 3-4 thou with reduced load - I might need to run through 6.5 expander and size back down to 6mm with false shoulder and blow all this brass out to chamber ... hmmmm.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fireformed a couple of cases with false shoulder - SOB@@!!!!!! My chamber is 0.026 longer than Norma brass!!!

Good call - looks like I'll be doing some unloading and fireforming.

Latest posts

Top Bottom