Rem 870 question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got another shotgun question. I went to the big gun show this past weekend and bought a nice used 870 12 ga. Wingmaster. Everything looks and works great except: when I went to load the magazine it only would take 2 shells. I thought, well it has a plug in it. But when I removed the barrel and looked into the magazine tube, the friction ring that holds the spring in the magazine was approx. half way down the magazine tube. Everything looks good, no rust or obvious obstruction. To me it appears it was either made this way (such as a waterfowl model, but it doesn't say anything about it), or something has the friction ring locked in place without any obvious reason.

Any ideas or explanations? It has a 2 3/4 chamber and a 28" modified choke.

I would appreciate any given knowledge.

Thanks

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like somebody, not knowing what they were doing put a plug in wrong
and pushed the mag spring retainer down in there. You should be able to get a piece of 1/4" steel rod, bend the end like a small hook (90 degrees) and pull it out. Put a little oil down the tube so it will slide easy. watch out for flying parts as once it starts going it won't stop.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A cleaning rod with a 38 cal metal jag would also work probably.
anything that would fit thru the hole in the retainer and hook it.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Push down and turn on retainer if not hooked somehow the uv and spring will shoot across room. Replace spring and retainer back in gun, replace barrl and end cap, good to go

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mr Ed, you were exactly right. Used a cleaning rod and pulled it up. Everything works great now. Simple solution, but it had me confused. Thanks for your help!

ssgrock3, been there - done that; more than once. Learned a long time ago to wear safety glasses and watch for flying parts!:thumbup3:

Latest posts

Top Bottom