Remington .22 Golden Bullet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nobody on the rimfire forum I visit has anything good to say about Remington Golds. I've always shot Federal 550's in both my 10/22 and Marlin 60 and so far never had a problem. Well once I got the 10/22 straightned out from stove pipes but that was the gun's fault.

Soulman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Odd. I have several boxes of these and they fire great through my 10-22. No FTF or FTE. Very accurate also. Guess Im lucky.

I don't have any trouble with them at all.

I love the golden bullet, the federal bulk packs are the worst ammo I've ever tried in my G23 AA conversion but you do get to practice on jams every mag.:scream:

I've shot a few thousand rounds through my 10/22 and never have had a problem.

I buy the golden bullets when I use the 22 revolvers and the thunderbolts when I'm using my Marlin Glenfield 60. Golden bullets seem to be a little more dirty and begin to not cycle the bolt on the 60.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll try to take a picture of the ones I kept that had the quality issues I mentioned when I get home.
The worst is the one missing about a third of the side. Just a big hole there.

Wizard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
22s are just picky witht he ammo they like or dont like to shoot.

My buckmarks and Marlin 60 hate golden bullets and eat the federal stuff up like candy all day long. Where as my mom has a ruger Mk I that eats the golden bullets with no problem.

So it jsut depends on the gun alot of the time but I have seen some funny defects on the golden bullets.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't buy the remington golden bullets anymore the last 550 I shot I had 82 fail to fire and the 550 before that one I had 27 fail to fire. Most were in a single six and the rest were in a remington 572 pump. You can send the problem ammo back to remington with a few rounds out of the same box that haven't had the firing pin hit it along with the lot number off of the box. They will send you a voucher for more ammo and you take that to wal-mart and get shotgun ammo with it. That is what I did last time because the voucher didn't say what caliber it just says remington ammunition on it.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't buy Remington rimfire at all. I had a couple of boxes of Target 40 grain solids that had more than 10% duds. In both my Buckmark and Henry rifle, so I just think it's Remington's QC has fell off these days.

I've had much better luck with Federal Automatch, 510's and AE22's. CCI is my favorite but can't find them anywhere.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had no more problems with the Remingtons than any other .22. Federals are OK too, except they won't function the slide on the Ruger MKII.

Latest posts

Top Bottom