remington 597 .22 lr questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevy88

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I bought a rifle from academy and they said it is basically the equievlant to the ruger 10/22 is this true? I also have never sighted in a scope before and i was wandering if i should sight the rifle in at 25yds or at 50yds? and should i do this inside or outside. I was out at Canadian Ranges on saturday shooting on the 50 yard line and i could not be consistant because of the wind so i will try again on a less windy day.

abinok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its simular to the 10-22... there are less accessories avalable for it, but they compare favoribly. I personally like the way that the bolt rides on the rails better than the 10-22.... but it could be argued either way. The triggers tend to not be as good as 10-22... but you can fix that.
I would zero it at 50yds, or 75yds if youre ever going to shoot that far.
You might consider getting some 30round mags... the getting is good right now with mags selling for under $10 each. Check out CDNN investments.

22mag

New to the site!
Reaction score
I have owned a Rem 597 22LR for about 10 years now. It is a decent rifle but I would recommend the more proven design Ruger 10/22.
The REM 597 has an inherit design flaw with the cartridge extractor which is made from too soft of material. After several hundred rounds my rifle stopped extracting the spent cartridges and I fixed it by installing this aftermarket TOOL STEEL extractor.

I shoot a lot of rimfire 22 and would zero a 22LR rifle scope at 50 yards and a 22WMR at 100 yards. Quick point and shoot red dot sights work well on 22LR.

https://www.volquartsen.com/products/266-exact-edge-extractor-for-remington-597

LIL e

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Start at 25yds, Then move out to 100yds. You'll be good to go. I bought an aftermarket clear/smoke 30rd mag and it would'nt feed right. I would recommend the Remington factory 30 rd mag, you'll love it. As far as the gun goes, just like any 22. KEEP IT CLEAN!!!

chevy88

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
so how would i find someone that could do a trigger job on the rifle because at the moment i have to have a chain wrapped around and tied to a truck an tell em to floor it. its ridiclous and you guys said they have a 30 rd? ill check into that thanks for the feedback its been helpful. thanks

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nice to see you finally made it here. Here is a link to a different forum with tons of info about the Remington 597's.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=218

Personally, I would not start doing a bunch of modifications to your rifle until you've shot a couple of bricks of ammo through it. That trigger is important but it won't stop you from sighting in the scope, you just won't be able to get those super tight groups every one likes.

By the way, I can replace both the Hammer and the Extractor if needed. You'll have to buy the parts of course.

Latest posts

Top Bottom