Remington R-15 refinishing project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a Remington R-15 two years ago and have loved it. The camo, not so much. Green just doesn't "fit in" with Oklahoma winters, when I do most of my predator calling. So here recently I have gotten the itch to get it "dipped". For some who don't know getting it dipped, from my limited knowledge, is a process of laying an ink film on top of liquid, spraying it with a chemical to "melt" the ink where it remains in a liquid state on top of the water, then dipping the item into the water, thus transferring the ink pattern onto the object, ie. Hydro-Dipping.

Many companies in the U.S. offer this service and my brother had his Remington 22-250 dipped about 8 years ago in Natural Gear camo. It looks as good today as it did then. There is some slight chipping on the end of the barrel but nothing really noticeable.

I found a company here in OK that offers the hydro-dipping service. They have several different camo patterns, but not the one I want. They aren't the cheapest IMO either so I am trying to work a deal to save me some money and them some time from having to remove the old camo.

A little background. I am a 22 year old college student living in a small apartment with limited tools and space.

Here is my R-15 brand new sighting it in:
[Broken External Image]

You can see how the camo stands out against the dead grass.

Here is my R-15 after I did a Krylon pinestraw camo job on the barrel, buffer tube, scope and mount.
[Broken External Image]

It looked better, but still the green sucked during the winter time. So yesterday I got a wild hair and wanted to remove the Krylon. I started on the barrel and buffer tube. I went to WalMart and bought some Klean Strip Premium Stripper.

Here is the barrel and buffer tube covered in the stripper.
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

It worked great, even on the scope and mount.
[Broken External Image]

But I got a little on the free float tube and it took the green camo right off too.
[Broken External Image]

So today I began to completely strip the upper and lower. I have my upper and lower 95% stripped and I only used a set of allen wrenches, a pair of vice grips, a multi tool, and an armorer's wrench. And a loaded pmag as a hammer.

Here is the free float tube after using the stripper
[Broken External Image]

And the upper during the process
[Broken External Image]

The upper after the removing the old camo
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
Still needs some work but its coming right along.

I am having trouble getting my castle nut loose on my lower so this is all I can do for now.

Hondafire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had my T/C contender set up dipped on shadow grass. Manily just for the fact that it blends with everything. Also have a 204 in Mossy Oak Brush. I belnds very well in the oklahoma winter grass.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dropped off the upper, lower, handguard, 20 round pmag, and magpul MOE stock at the Dipper today. He said he should have it done in 2-3 weeks. I am excited and probably won't sleep until I get it back. I am getting it dipped in a pattern similar to Mossy Oak Brush pattern.

Latest posts

Top Bottom