Remington to file for bankruptcy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know much about corporate bankruptcy, but I'm sure Remington will still exist. I wonder if this is an excuse for them to shut down the Ilion plant.

In some ways, I'm surprised that this didn't happen earlier. The thread about Ruger's cool new products emphasizes just how pathetic Remington's efforts have been over the past decade or two. Who in their right mind thought that the RP9 would be competitive? The RM380 sounds like it might be a decent little pistol, but it's a decade late. How about the R51? That actually looked interesting, and I had considered buying one before they were released. Everybody knows how that turned out.

I hope that Remington recovers, but it will be a long row to hoe.

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)
Yes, a holding company somewhere will buy them after their debts have been discharged (absolved) in bankruptcy court. I hope one of the larger sporting goods holding companies buys them, and not some company who knows nothing about the firearms manufacturing business, looking for a cheap investment.

Hopefully, this would bring Remington, Marlin, and H&R/NEF back better than they have been in recent years.

Hey, tRidiot. Since Radio Shack is going out of business, somebody has to take their place! :wink2:

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 870s made lately look like they get sanded using cinder blocks and rust overnight if two drops of sweat land on them. When will manufacturers realize the $10 they save on parts/finishing are nothing compared to the loss of consumer confidence? Both my 870 Police and tactical barrels were machined so poorly the rim of the shell would dig into the barrel on the opposite side of the extractor and lock it up on extraction. Sure, that was an easy fix but this was on a weapon designed for duty.. WTH! Add a stronger dog spring and metal follower to the normal 870, stop putting those dimples in the tube and go back to a metal retaining system for the spring again. Simple stuff Remington... It isn't that hard!!

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The release of the Shockwave is a perfect example. I never thought I'd see the day that the 500/590 would be more highly regarded than the 870, but I have a 590 in the safe and haven't owned an 870 in years.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They need to so something interesting. I know they have a "full line" of guns but only two are worth mentioning and they pretty well rely on their prior reputation IMO (870 and 700). I really like the direction Ruger has gone with all their new products...seems they have something to offer just about everyone and its usually a great value, too. Not knowing Rugers financial status, it seems Remington could take notes.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Their mgmt. group(Remington) has run them in the ground. These private equity groups care more about making money, not quality firearms and profit.
Remington could use some lessons from Ruger, Sig, FNP, and S&W. They have done well.
I have owned an older 870 and 1100 and they were quality shotguns back then. Just hoping that someone who cares about quality firearms buys their company.
My 2 cents and my opinion....

Last edited:

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Chrysler did the same thing to Jeep when they bought them out. Maybe they're improving now but when I was in the military they were the most badly talked about vehicle. Everyone wanted the older proven Jeeps that rolled over easily.

Latest posts

Top Bottom