Repairing chip at tang

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finished putting the rifle back together...posting photos as promised. After repairing and fitting the stock, I applied a few coats of Real Milk Paint Dark PTO. It now matches the USGI handguard nicely. The M1922 buttplate fits the stock perfectly, no buttplate overhang like the SA milled (non-checkered) version that came on the rifle. I also installed one of Turner's new production military spec M1907 slings with parkerized hardware. Everything but the stock, handguard, follower, buttplate and rear sling swivel appear to be Remington and correct for the serial number range. Interestingly enough the serial number of the rifle, puts it within a block of lend-lease rifles that were sent to Great Britain and New Zealand. Unfortunately, there is no way of telling if it was a lend-lease as the property and acceptance markings were applied to the original stocks and this one is long gone. Another interesting feature about the rifle is the bolt. It is a correct early Remington version, but it somehow missed the step in the manufacturing process where the bolt was swept back prior to final machining and finishing. Judging by the finish, you can tell that the bolt has been heated and swept back at least after it was heat treated, if not after it was finished. This was not a bubba job....Remington bolt handles have a very particular dog-leg style shape and there is no evidence of the bolt ever having one. To straighten the bolt and rebend it to a similar contour would be nearly possible without leaving evidence behind.

i.imgur.com_p7qzeRJh.jpg

i.imgur.com_ow1pUoCh.jpg

i.imgur.com_8B4Jl4Dh.jpg

i.imgur.com_WlrmgSIh.jpg

i.imgur.com_svfXwFGh.jpg

i.imgur.com_5TeqzXKh.jpg

i.imgur.com_WnRCaaGh.jpg

i.imgur.com_I6YEAYnh.jpg

i.imgur.com_giRtdKIh.jpg

i.imgur.com_ecG8ixWh.jpg

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's really nice Lucas. Awesome job on the chip. How does she shoot?

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance yet. It will honestly probably a few weeks before I can take it anywhere. I'm thinking about getting a guest pass to my brother's range down in Pauls Valley...I hardly go to Banner Road anymore which has really cut down on range time with my rifles.

Latest posts

Top Bottom