Researching binoculars, please enlighten me on this description - Words mean things

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not particularly doing anything along the lines of purchasing one but just doing a bit of browsing and learning about binoculars and trying to find out the difference between a $200 set and a $3,000 set.

While doing so I was reading the description on this pair and came across the word "plasticity".
I Googled the word and it was what I thought it meant and refers to the deformation of solid material.

I am assuming the deformation is of the image seen/produced by the optics but as used in the context of this sentence, plasticity is not a word I would use unless the writer has another meaning.

What is the meaning for plasticity in optics?

Then in the exact same sentence it says neutral, vivid colors. WTF?????

Neutral colors
paint-color-neutrals2.jpg

vivid colors
shutterstock_127274552.jpg

Is this an accurate description of the specification of this unit or is the technical writer using word salad trying to pump up the feature set therefore the price?

Here is the reference I was reading

https://cameralandny.com/shop/leica...c123-0137-16cb-00163e90e196?variation=1999065

Geovid HD-B units offer sharp, high-contrast images with outstanding depth and plasticity as well as extremely high light transmission and neutral, vivid colors, thanks to Perger Porro prisms. The Aqua Dura Coating - an innovative nanostructure coating - prevents dust and dirt from sticking onto the lenses and allows for easy and simple cleaning.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've owned $30 pairs, 300 dollars pairs and $3000 pairs of binoculars. The difference between 30 and 300 is crazy, the difference between 300 and 3000 is only for those that really really really care. The ones I recommend as far as a good set right now would be Nikon Monarch 10x42 or the Prostaff 3 series. That's not to say the $3000 pair wasn't truly amazing and spectacular, but it sure wasn't worth the extra 2700 IMHO.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is truly a point of diminishing returns. Unless the subject of your observation is on the very edge of observability, you're going to get more bang for your buck out of a $300-600 pair of binoculars than a $3,000 pair. There's a lot of gear to be had for that extra $2,400-2,700.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate the recommendations but like I stated before I'm not in the market to buy.

My questions are about the description in the specifications.

What is plasticity in optics and what does neutral vivid colors mean?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I appreciate the recommendations but like I stated before I'm not in the market to buy.

My questions are about the description in the specifications.

What is plasticity in optics and what does neutral vivid colors mean?

All I can think of regarding "plasticity" is this:

Optical plasticity in fish lenses - ScienceDirect

As for vivid colors, CRI (stands for Color Rendering Index) is important for accurate image rendering. Some lens coatings block certain light frequencies, which will degrade color rendering accuracy. I can only assume they mean that their lenses are less prone to inaccurately transmitting color to the eye? You usually hear CRI discussed with lighting, but it can also be impacted by intermediate media, such as lenses and filters in optical instruments.

Color rendering index - Wikipedia

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some of the description is bs and fluff.

If you WERE in the market to purchase a pair of binoculars I would recommend setting your budget and then go to places that have at least a few options at your budget and lower and look through the different options side by side. If not able to take outside, look across the building at something that has small details. Look to see the difference in detail between the binoculars.

Same thing if outside except try to find something in the 75-100 yard range and something in the 300 yard range. Find something in a shaded area to view also.

Latest posts

Top Bottom