Researching binoculars, please enlighten me on this description - Words mean things

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
All I can think of regarding "plasticity" is this:

Optical plasticity in fish lenses - ScienceDirect

As for vivid colors, CRI (stands for Color Rendering Index) is important for accurate image rendering. Some lens coatings block certain light frequencies, which will degrade color rendering accuracy. I can only assume they mean that their lenses are less prone to inaccurately transmitting color to the eye? You usually hear CRI discussed with lighting, but it can also be impacted by intermediate media, such as lenses and filters in optical instruments.

Color rendering index - Wikipedia
I remember blue blockers, they were the sunglasses you could buy that blocked the color blue with yellow tinted lenses. They made your eyes relax but finding a blue car was impossible.
Neutrally vivid colors sounds like an oxymoron to me like governmental assistance.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve been using the same Zeiss Conquest 12x45 binos for almost 20 years and have thought about “upgrading” to Swarovskis, but to be honest, the Swarovskis aren’t THAT MUCH better for me to justify the expense. Though my binos are old and “low end” for the Zeiss line, they still work for what I need binos for.:anyone:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
All I can think of regarding "plasticity" is this:

Optical plasticity in fish lenses - ScienceDirect

As for vivid colors, CRI (stands for Color Rendering Index) is important for accurate image rendering. Some lens coatings block certain light frequencies, which will degrade color rendering accuracy. I can only assume they mean that their lenses are less prone to inaccurately transmitting color to the eye? You usually hear CRI discussed with lighting, but it can also be impacted by intermediate media, such as lenses and filters in optical instruments.

Color rendering index - Wikipedia
I read that reference to the fish lenses, (kind of) and it references the optical plasticity of lenses in fish eyes that is the signals that move the eye lens cells to focus thus the deformation of the lens itself. Didn't know I could read scientific stuffies did yas?

In reference to the binocs, do the lenses deform? I doubt it and the sentence is about the field of view deforming but it says it is a good thing.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read that reference to the fish lenses, (kind of) and it references the optical plasticity of lenses in fish eyes that is the signals that move the eye lens cells to focus thus the deformation of the lens itself. Didn't know I could read scientific stuffies did yas?

In reference to the binocs, do the lenses deform? I doubt it and the sentence is about the field of view deforming but it says it is a good thing.

Honestly it's all over my head, and it didn't seem to fit but there it is nonetheless! LOL

I understand more about CRI, but it's still largely neglected in lighting and optical discussions.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had a few pairs of binoculars over the years, they're wild.

Nikon Monarch series have really good, bright glass.

Vortex Vipers are also really solid. Bought a pair for my BIL for Christmas, found them marked down to $300 in November.

Had a pair of Swarovski's that were my go-to hunting glasses. Compact, clear, very good in low light, but they lacked clarity at distance as our hunting lands cleared and got bigger.

Finally settled on a pair from Canon about a decade ago. They're still my go-to pair for anything outdoors. Very clear, very bright, long distance sharpness. The image stabilization is a total game changer.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...noculars/is-binoculars/15-x-50-is-all-weather

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just as an aside, if you don't know how to adjust them (cover the eye/uncover the eye/do the relief and the focus thing) learn before you go shopping. I'm guessing most folks already know that, but I hunt with some guys that have some really high $ glasses, and they were amazed at how much better they were when properly adjusted for their eyes.

Saying all that to say this, I've got a pair of Swarovski and I've got some Vortex Diamondbacks. $3000 & $349 respectively (I think that's what I paid for the Vortex glass). Is there a difference? Oh, yeah. Is it $2700? I spent it so I'm gonna say yes, but here's the deal. I very rarely use that high $ glass. It stays in the safe. I'm terrified I'm gonna tear 'em up, so I use the Vortex glass 95% of the time.

I've also had everything from $79 up to the $300 level, and if you've ever owned a nice piece of glass, they just won't cut it. Plus I've had a couple of $150 pair get knocked outa whack and they'll still focus, but there is two distinct images. In a good piece of glass that can be fixed. The cheap ones I had, it could not.

I wouldn't take for my $3000 glass, cause they are really, really, really nice, but for what I do, the Vortex is plenty of glass.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom