Resize new brass?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Having been a cheap guy all my life I had never bought new brass to reload with. I obtained some new Remington .308 brass and was wondering if I should run it through the resizer before attempting to load it. As I said it is brand new never been loaded before. Thanks.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I probably would for no other reason that I've seen dented mouths in those bags, but I think that you are technically supposed to FL size. I'd probably back the die off just a touch to keep from bumping the shoulder. Doubtful that it would but just in case. I'm like you, Ive never loaded brand new brass except I made .270 Win cases out of some new IMI 30.06 brass once. And my .375 Winchester you pretty much have too these days. I do FL size those for sure. Have you chamber checked some of them? I'm curious...

b52fizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always do just for assurance of proper chamber fit, might first time then just neck size if using in bolt action, and run decapper to make sure there is a flash hole and clear anything out.

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Absolutely. Then trim them. I've found new factory brass to be a little on the long side with quite a disparity amongst overall case lengths. Me being the anal retentive individual I am, I like to start all my cases being sized and trimmed the same.

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have to be very careful when you buy new brass or new factory made ammo because the makers of brass and ammo don't know what they're doing. By all means, ALWAYS size and trim new brass and, for those times you aren't rolling your own, disassemble any new cartridges you buy and:

1. Weigh the powder to be sure all the charges are within 0.01 grain of each other. You know, sometimes the manufacturers screw things up and have to have ammo recalls.

2. Resize and trim the cases because they may not be dimensionally correct.

3. Weigh all the bullets and measure them as well. Discard all bullets that are more than 0.001 grains off the weight they're supposed to be. Also, trash all bullets that are more than 0.002 inches shorter or longer than they're supposed to be.

4. Then put the powder back in the cases and reseat your bullets. You will rest happy knowing your cases and bullets are dimensionally correct and the powder charges are correct.

Do these things and your life will be much better and safer.

www.orchardphoto.com_h29zo99.jpg

A sad example of using new brass with no prep work.

www.orchardphoto.com_h5uz265.jpg

Another example of the sorry results of reloading new brass with no prep work.

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have to be very careful when you buy new brass or new factory made ammo because the makers of brass and ammo don't know what they're doing. By all means, ALWAYS size and trim new brass and, for those times you aren't rolling your own, disassemble any new cartridges you buy and:

1. Weigh the powder to be sure all the charges are within 0.01 grain of each other. You know, sometimes the manufacturers screw things up and have to have ammo recalls.

2. Resize and trim the cases because they may not be dimensionally correct.

3. Weigh all the bullets and measure them as well. Discard all bullets that are more than 0.001 grains off the weight they're supposed to be. Also, trash all bullets that are more than 0.002 inches shorter or longer than they're supposed to be.

4. Then put the powder back in the cases and reseat your bullets. You will rest happy knowing your cases and bullets are dimensionally correct and the powder charges are correct.

Do these things and your life will be much better and safer.

i1181.photobucket.com_albums_x430_ruger656_IMG_0309.jpg

Wow! You must be right. These new unprimed Rem. .300 RUM cases did NOT come out of the package with anything less than perfect case mouths and were NOT .020 different in length. How silly I've been to even think otherwise.

Latest posts

Top Bottom