Restoring chrome wheels to original finish

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My dad bought rims for his truck and he let them go so long without cleaning them they are now stained with a haze that I cannot get off. I have used a few different polishes and cleaners to no avail. Is there something that will take away the haze and restore the original chrome finish. They are American racing 20 inch wheels. Thanks for any help. image.jpg

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go to Lowe's, get a polishing rag wheel like these... Mount it into a drill (rod mount should be in the same bay) and buy some cutting and polishing compounds. Get the wax bar type compound for taking that haze off. None of that liquid crap. That's what it took to restore some old magnesium wheels from the 50's to an ultra shine in about 15 minutes per wheel.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very fine steel wool will sometime remove surface imperfections.

That almost looks like they were like that originally(poor chrome work).

I had AR wheel on my last truck, after 5 years of taking good care of them they were starting to peel, so I don't think AR does a great job on their chrome.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I had AR wheel on my last truck, after 5 years of taking good care of them they were starting to peel, so I don't think AR does a great job on their chrome.

yep looks like a bargin bin chrome job to me too but might also be a clear over aluminum that has gone south.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
See my dad would drive when it would rain and the wheels would get filthy and he would let them sit for weeks on end without cleaning them. I don't really think it's the wheels fault. My dad just really neglected them. I have heard that vinegar and baking soda will work. And to stress, the wheels looked perfect when they were new. I have jad many sets of chrome wheels in the past and they looked great just like all of mine did. It was only after he neglected them they started looking like this. Yes they may be cheap chrome but when you let them go like he did even expensive ones would do this.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

"American Racing" has been built in CHINA for more than a few years now... The quality they once had is long gone...

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SOS cleaning pads. Cleans great and leaves them beading up water.

I can vouch for this, worked at a truck wash when I was a teen and still in high school. Nothing worked better to take bugs off of chrome along with the road grime or anything else that was stuck on and not supposed to be there. For that matter it will nearly polish bare aluminium.

Latest posts

Top Bottom