Retrax or Roll N Lock - anybody owned one?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you live on a "white-rock" (crushed limestone) road, be aware that wet fines will probably find their way in.

My late bro-in-law put a bed cover (no idea what brand, but it was a one-piece that raised up) on his new Dodge pickup, and the bed area was pretty much unusable after every rain. It was coated with wet goo almost every time I saw it, and I mean a solid coating, bottom, sides, and cover.

Just wanted to mention that.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Pace Edwards Full metal Jack Rabbit. This is my second one, had on on the last truck for 6 years. Looked at all of my options on this truck, and ended up with the same cover. I don't care for the canister at the front of the bed, but honestly it has rarely, if ever hindered me from hauling anything.
I also have this one. I love it. I installed it myself, it was pretty easy. I had a problem with the lock and they warrantied it immediately. I'd buy another one.

Dalejbrass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had multiple of both; Roll n lock manual and automatic and the Retrax. I would recommend the Retrax over the roll n lock. Low profile, stout and finish lasts longer. All of my roll n locks covers really dulled over time and they all became harder and harder to open and close over time due to the channel they use (even with regular cleaning and maintenance). I've seen of few Roll n locks starting to cave in after 3-4 years.

If you can afford it, get the auto powered retrax....it's handy!

Sporting a Diamond Back on my GMC now. I like it, it's built like a tank (will hold 1600 lbs)....but I miss the flexibility of the Retrax. If I had a do-over, I'd have chosen the Retrax.

I've installed a Roll-n-Lock and a Retrax. Both were very easy and required basic tools. Just take your time lining everything up before you cinch it down and all is good.

Dalejbrass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, as someone has already pointed out....neither will keep "all" water out...but in my experience, the Retrax kept more out than the Rollnlock.

I'd recommend plugging all holes and getting a weatherstrip kit for your tailgate. This will go a long way in cutting down the amount of dust in your bed.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ran a Roll-N-Lock on my 02 F150. I had it maybe 2 years before selling the truck. No complaints in that time. I chose the Roll-N-Lock over the Retrax for the shorter depth from the back of the bed when the cover was opened. on a 5'6" bed every inch counts.

I can't personally speak on the Retrax.

Latest posts

Top Bottom