Review: Savage .223

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This will be a shamefully brief review...much shorter than my normal reviews.

I bought THIS rifle for my 10-year old's birthday, in .223. He had shot the **** out of his BB rifle and pistol, and it was time to get a real gun. I've had 2 other Savage bolt-actions--both excellent rifles--so I decided to give this one a try for him.

- .223 caliber: I thought long and hard about .223 vs .243, and I'm glad I ended up with the .223. Very nice balance of a small rifle with a small shooter. Bonus: it's totally fun for me also!

- Trigger: usual Accutrigger greatness

- Action: smooth enough for a 10 year old to operate without problem...no complaints there

- Stock: surprisingly decent synthetic stock with functional stippling on grip and fore-end, but I could imagine a stock upgrade when he gets older...not the same stock pictured on website; it's actually a nicer stock

- Scope: It came with a cheaper model Nikon 3-9x40, and I'm not impressed. I would have preferred to buy the rifle and scope separately, but this rifle only comes as a package. It's good enough for him to learn on, but I'm sure it will get upgraded.

- Accuracy: I couldn't be happier with it. 3-shot groups at 100 yards: .89" with cheap factory 55-grain; .64" with PMC 75-grain. I can't wait to get a hand-load dialed in.

Overall, great rifle at a very reasonable price. Between his new rifle, and also getting some time with my old Ruger 22/45 pistol, he's hooked!

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a young person I would have got the model 16. It is about the same in stainless but it has the accustock bedding.

It has no scope and would cost more too but a young person that might not care for one as well might be better off with the stainless.

You did good with the model 11.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now you got me looking for a savage axis in .223 for the wife.. as she thinks the .243 kicks too much.
I assume you got the axis.. the reviews on them look good and at $279 does not seem bad.
Trying to sell a toy to get a toy now