Ridiculous wildcat or photoshop?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I stumbled across this picture in a completely non-gun related website. My immediate reaction was :shocked:

Then I started to wonder if it was a photoshop job, but it looks pretty legit. Anybody seen something like this?

i.imgur.com_gX8RHve.jpg

Edit: Apparently it's a joke: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/09/08/50-bmg-necked-down-to-22/

I did find the legitimate ".22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer" in the process, though: http://www.gswagner.com/bigreloading/refmaterial/ackley.html

Lets keep it going with other crazy wildcat cartridges.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've got .22 cal sabots for my .30-378 but have yet to try them.............a 40gr barnes should go.....about how fast? :)

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I seen that years ago.
but I do not know.
Buddy was telling me about the .30 cal sabots he shot from his 50 cal into the 5000 fps area not real accurate but a bit of fun

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That bullet in the pic appears to be a brass rod, turned in a lathe, and bored enough to put a bullet into?
I don't know how you could neck a .50bmg down that far.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I haven't been around extreme wildcat rounds like that.^^^^^

If you can neck it down that far the excess brass has to go somewhere, so one would have to measure the ID of the neck to make sure it was the correct diameter?

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That bullet in the pic appears to be a brass rod, turned in a lathe, and bored enough to put a bullet into?
I don't know how you could neck a .50bmg down that far.

Looks like you are spot on. I found this from the original maker:

Last year I took a chunk of scrap brass and turned it on my lathe and made my own wildcat...sort of.. I turned a cartridge about 1.00 in diameter and necked down to accept a 5.7mm bullet from a 5.7 FHN round. I called my new creation the 5.7 Xpress and put it on a shelf at the gun shop and forgot about it...until today.

Apparently it was simply a creation by a gun shop owner to mess with unsuspecting customers, and he even announced at one point he was going to sell AR's in his new 5.7 Xpress cartridge. Haha.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 5000fps mark can be broken easily with .22/243 and .22-250AI IIRC.

Yes it can. Also a 22-06 will do that easily as well. I've got a few wildcats/odd calibers around as well. The 22-243 and 6.5-06 and 257 stw are among my favorites. Kinda like my new build. 7-08 imp. I really appreciate the calibers for what they're capable of. I'm still on the hunt for a .224 weatherby and have about decided to build one rather than ever finding a mark v varmitmaster. Lazaronni builds some awesome proprietary rounds as well. Okie the thermos bottle is an accurate screamer for sure. The biggest downside is all the brass prep work that comes with shooting wild cats as well as lack of available load data.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes it can. Also a 22-06 will do that easily as well. I've got a few wildcats/odd calibers around as well. The 22-243 and 6.5-06 and 257 stw are among my favorites. Kinda like my new build. 7-08 imp. I really appreciate the calibers for what they're capable of. I'm still on the hunt for a .224 weatherby and have about decided to build one rather than ever finding a mark v varmitmaster. Lazaronni builds some awesome proprietary rounds as well. Okie the thermos bottle is an accurate screamer for sure. The biggest downside is all the brass prep work that comes with shooting wild cats as well as lack of available load data.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

No kidding, Rigby brass is too pricey to cutt 90% of it off! :) I did see where Browning is chambering your 26 Nosler now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom