Rifle for youth

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radisri

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking to get my niece a rifle. Looked at getting a 22 but with ammo hard to find. What other calibers would be good for the to shoot. They are 6 and 10 years old.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.22 is still your best bet.

Just buy as much as you are able to,,,
Every time you are able to,,,
Stock up when you can.

The other alternatives (.223 - 7.62x39) all cost a minimum of 25 to 30 cents per round.
And (IMHO) both of those guns have too much recoil for a young child.

Your only other option is a nice break barrel air rifle.

Aarond

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
For that age, I would start with a BB/Pellet rifle, unless they are already experienced shooters.

If you really want to go with a .22, ammo is getting a little easier to find.

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up a 1000 round brick at COPS the other day. If I'm looking for .22 it takes me no longer than 2-3 stops within the city on a bad day.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I vote on the pellet rifles to start kids out on they are cheap and the pellets are cheap to and with single shot they wil learn to make every shot count. I even to this day enjoy shooting them from time to time i keep one by my door for pest control.
Have found this place is good if wanting a air gun they have a wide variety , new and rebuilt in all kinds of price ranges.
http://www.airgundepot.com/

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The break barrel air rifles i have used a child will not be able to operate it.
They are hard to open and close.
There may be one out there but i have used 4 different types and they could not be operated by an 8 year old and some 12 year olds had issues.

I say .22 would be best. Although not all children are weak.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
What did you pay for that 1K?

I'm having a tough time remembering, it was the Winchester M22 stuff in the fancy black and gray box, I wanna say 80ish? I feel I overpaid a bit, but I really like COPS and the folks who run it, and that combined with the convenience of buying a bulk pack makes it ok to pay a little extra.

BTW COPS has moved locations, they're now off hudiburg drive/Reno next to white water bay. The new store is still getting put together, but it's big and roomy, and he the room to show off all the wares. I like it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom