Rise of the Warrior Cop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rise of the Warrior Cop
Is it time to reconsider the militarization of American policing?

On Jan. 4 of last year, a local narcotics strike force conducted a raid on the Ogden, Utah, home of Matthew David Stewart at 8:40 p.m. The 12 officers were acting on a tip from Mr. Stewart's former girlfriend, who said that he was growing marijuana in his basement. Mr. Stewart awoke, naked, to the sound of a battering ram taking down his door. Thinking that he was being invaded by criminals, as he later claimed, he grabbed his 9-millimeter Beretta pistol.

si.wsj.net_public_resources_images_RV_AL122A_POLIC_DV_20130719195021.jpg

The police say that they knocked and identified themselves, though Mr. Stewart and his neighbors said they heard no such announcement. Mr. Stewart fired 31 rounds, the police more than 250. Six of the officers were wounded, and Officer Jared Francom was killed. Mr. Stewart himself was shot twice before he was arrested. He was charged with several crimes, including the murder of Officer Francom.

The police found 16 small marijuana plants in Mr. Stewart's basement. There was no evidence that Mr. Stewart, a U.S. military veteran with no prior criminal record, was selling marijuana. Mr. Stewart's father said that his son suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder and may have smoked the marijuana to self-medicate.

Early this year, the Ogden city council heard complaints from dozens of citizens about the way drug warrants are served in the city. As for Mr. Stewart, his trial was scheduled for next April, and prosecutors were seeking the death penalty. But after losing a hearing last May on the legality of the search warrant, Mr. Stewart hanged himself in his jail cell.

The police tactics at issue in the Stewart case are no anomaly. Since the 1960s, in response to a range of perceived threats, law-enforcement agencies across the U.S., at every level of government, have been blurring the line between police officer and soldier. Driven by martial rhetoric and the availability of military-style equipment—from bayonets and M-16 rifles to armored personnel carriers—American police forces have often adopted a mind-set previously reserved for the battlefield. The war on drugs and, more recently, post-9/11 antiterrorism efforts have created a new figure on the U.S. scene: the warrior cop—armed to the teeth, ready to deal harshly with targeted wrongdoers, and a growing threat to familiar American liberties.

The acronym SWAT stands for Special Weapons and Tactics. Such police units are trained in methods similar to those used by the special forces in the military. They learn to break into homes with battering rams and to use incendiary devices called flashbang grenades, which are designed to blind and deafen anyone nearby. Their usual aim is to "clear" a building—that is, to remove any threats and distractions (including pets) and to subdue the occupants as quickly as possible.

The country's first official SWAT team started in the late 1960s in Los Angeles. By 1975, there were approximately 500 such units. Today, there are thousands. According to surveys conducted by the criminologist Peter Kraska of Eastern Kentucky University, just 13% of towns between 25,000 and 50,000 people had a SWAT team in 1983. By 2005, the figure was up to 80%.

The number of raids conducted by SWAT-like police units has grown accordingly. In the 1970s, there were just a few hundred a year; by the early 1980s, there were some 3,000 a year. In 2005 (the last year for which Dr. Kraska collected data), there were approximately 50,000 raids.

si.wsj.net_public_resources_images_RV_AL113_POLICE_D_20130719165443.jpg

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...40780519904.html?mod=WSJ_article_EditorsPicks

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I listened to an interview with the author a week ago. He stresses that he is not anti-LEO but that gun owners should be the one's who should be most concerned about raids like this one. Most of us, awakened in the night, will meet the perceived threat armed. I have to admit that while I don't ever expect the police to break down my door, if they did and I didn't know who it was I would be armed as well.

What ever happened to knocking on the door in daylight?

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey, he had a naturally-occurring plant in his basement. Surely that justifies a commando-style raid, just like we'd use in a hostage situation; after all, preservation of evidence! And officer safety!

Plus, demon weed!

TenBears

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My kids and I watch Andy Griffith every night ( yes I know it's a show ) but watch a few of them and note the way police were portrayed then and how they are now. I don't expect them to bring me groceries when I am sick, but a little serve and protect would be nice. When the last time you saw a police officer pull over and help someone w/ a flat? I was in a accident recently and had a trooper help me with a ride home out of his way, one bad thing about him is he's retiring in three months. He even told me how shocked he was at the younger guys and how different they are.

Reaction score
I personally sleep easier at night knowing I'm safe from violent criminals like the ones in OP stories. Thank God for the police and their rational approach to things. Without them I'm sure we would be in total chaos

chevyboy123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I personally sleep easier at night knowing I'm safe from violent criminals like the ones in OP stories. Thank God for the police and their rational approach to things. Without them I'm sure we would be in total chaos

Or people could just take care of themselves and their community instead of depending on a militarized police force where certain members think they are god

If I can't have those toys why should they?

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When the last time you saw a police officer pull over and help someone w/ a flat?

I see cops helping people all the time, actually, but I've always felt that Oklahoma has a much better LEO community than many other more urban regions.

I'm not an LEO, I'm just a correctional officer, but even there in a place where we can search at will and have universal monopoly on force and order it's much easier to deal with things in an intelligent manner.
Is it really easier to kick in a door at night and risk being shot than it is to nab the suspect when he leaves the house? I realize that there's a point where we may need to call in the door-kickers (hostage situations, etc.) but officer safety is #1 in my book so I want to minimize unnecessary force as much as possible.
Finesse > fists.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am normally very pro-LE, but am sick of the few who put a bad name on the many and the job.

I see 2 problems here:

1. Too many LEO, especially younger ones, have seen too many movies and are Rambo wannabes. Ironic since 'First Blood' was supposedly a "heavy handed, King Cop" harassing an innocent citizen just passing through. (and a really stupid movie, I never cared for. how in the crap it spawned so many sequels? but they were a bit better.)

2. Taking the word of an "ex-gf". Using such heavy handed tactics based on (only) the word of a vengeful byatch is a catastrophe definitely going to happen. OMG, 7 wounded and 1 dead, nearly 300 rounds expended (don't they know how hard it is to get ammo?) on the word of an 'ex-gf' and 'a few' small plants. DISGRACEFUL!!!!!!!!

and becoming more and more common everyday. Even in our 'neck of the woods', I am seeing a majority of the LE (all factions, local, county, and state) with these type attitudes and we live in such a crime ridden area (rivaling Detroit, LA, NYC).

Yet, look at those here and people in total who believe LE and the military 'will never' attack the general population.

A. Evening shift briefing - It's going to be a busy night. We have several warrants for confiscation on 'known' gun owners in the city. blah blah blah

B. 1.14 am - SWAT arrives at 123 4th St. The heavily armed, black suited, 30 man squad surround the house and the entry team crashes through the door ..............

C. Don't expect a happy ending ..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom