Roadkill question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So today a coworker and I were heading to Bartlesville. Up 75N we noticed a truck was pulled over on the southbound side. As we got close we noticed he was out of his truck in the ditch and hunched over and doing what looked like a two handed sawing motion. I said I wonder if he’s cutting off some antlers. We made note of his location so on our way back we could look in the ditch on our way back south. Sure enough there was a dead deer there and it’s body was completely in tact. Going to fast to tell what the top of his head looked like but it got me wondering. Is it legal to cut antlers off of a Buck that’s been killed by a car? Also, can you harvest a deer that you’ve killed with your car?

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know about the antlers question.

I spent many hours salvaging road kill elk and deer in Colorado. I'm not fond of venison but I love elk. I kept the freezer full year after year from road kill. In Colorado any law enforcement officer could give you a possession certificate for the road kill carcass if they had them. I carried them with me all the time when I worked for the sheriff's dept.

Certain animals you couldn't keep...bears and mountain lions and bighorn sheep come to mind. I'm sure there were others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to burn a tag, and the deer is in season, it counts just like shooting one if one wants to salvage the meat.
I believe the GW can issue a salvage tag if one is available, but most of the time they are on other issues.
You cannot arbitrarily saw off the antlers of a road killed deer without a permit from a GW.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it is illegal to harvest road kill antlers. At one time my dad and I had special permission from the county sheriff and gw to pick up road kill deer to use as bait.

enuf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The now retired GW I knew said he'd issue a tag if you took the whole critter, but not if you just wanted the head or straps - it was his was an all or nothing rule

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This info is 50-plus years old,,,
And may or may not have been true at all.

Back in the early 60's our neighbor was a game warden,,,
He said that all "shed" antlers in Oklahoma,,,
Belonged to the Boy Scouts of America.

I don't mean to hijack this thread,,,
But it did bring this back into my memory.

Can anyone verify or refute this?

Just curious is all.

Aarond

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This info is 50-plus years old,,,
And may or may not have been true at all.

Back in the early 60's our neighbor was a game warden,,,
He said that all "shed" antlers in Oklahoma,,,
Belonged to the Boy Scouts of America.

I don't mean to hijack this thread,,,
But it did bring this back into my memory.

Can anyone verify or refute this?

Just curious is all.

Aarond

That’s not hijacking the thread at all. If that’s true then that answers part of the question. Curious if that is still true today. Thanks!

Latest posts

Top Bottom