2012 silverado 1500 broken rear end and noticing things

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m having similar issues with a fleet of ford transit vans. The rear rotors are so soft that they round over the pads. The rotor lip is so big it starts rubbing the top edge of the pad back plate. It’s a PITA because the rear axle has to come out to pull the rotor. Yep, you read that right, the axle has to come out to replace the rotor. Doing my 5th one tomorrow.

Are they grossly overloaded? Work vans with shelving and such?

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea my buddy heard clunking in his truck rear end yesterday and got it home.
Took the drums off which was a chore.
Then took the rear differential cover off and found the carrier broken in 4 pieces.

I went there this morning to get the C clips off the axles as he spent 7 hours last night not ever doing this before trying to get them out.

Now he is on the search for another carrier or complete 6 lug rear end to go back into the truck.
3.42 gears.

Now he showed me the drums and this is where I noticed a trend.
The drums have worn in the middle about 1/4" deep rounded groove about 3/4" wide.

He said he never seen this happen before, I looked at his brake shoes and seen the outer edges of the shoes bent down away from the supporting metal rib.

Plenty of meat on the shoes by the way.

Looks like the issues I had with all aftermarket shoes I stuck on the 1957 chevy 4 door.

Contact in the middle of the shoe because the supporting metal on new shoes are thin and weak.

He has never put rear brakes on this truck and has had it since it had about 30,000 miles on it.
Lots of highway driving 112,000 miles on it now.

Effin junk stuff even for 2012 so I do not feel so bad about the junk i get for my 57 now.

Can't believe the carrier broke apart.
This is the 8.6 rear end.

4 wheel drive and 6 lug or i would carry a 9" ford truck rear end over to him and fix him up.

He said it would not look good with different wheels if we did s ford swap in the rear.
I told him it looks pretty bad as it is now up on jack stands :)

I hate GM rear ends. I broke every one I ever had.

Have any of you guys dealt with upgrading to the stronger stuff in this newer year?
That year had the option of having an 8.6(10 bolt) or 9.5 ring gear(14 bolt). I can get you a good used 8.6 ring gear 3.42 ratio rear end assembly for $300 plus core and tax or a 9.5 for $450 plus core and tax

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GM is known to not completely fill the rear end at the factory. I read about this and checked my pu and
found it only had about 1 qt. and it needs 2 qt.
A telltale sign is the black paint pealing from overheating. Before failing hopefully.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would never tow more than a small utility trailer with a semi float rear axle. If towing any weight at all a full floater is a lot safer. If something breaks in a semi floater, a good chance the wheel will go flying away. Thats why full float rear axles are preferred by off roaders. If something breaks, the wheel will normally stay attached to the axle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom