Roaring River Trout Fishing...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do any of you guys ever go trout fishing at Roaring River is Cassville Missouri?

If you do and go for the opening week (March 1st.), maybe we could get together and talk guns, fishing or go eat lunch. Just a thought....

D&T

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's my hometown and stomping ground. With luck, I'll be up there! I don't know what's good to eat in town anymore, and I won't be able to stay too late past around 1:00(gotta be back for class here in Tulsa by 5) but I'd be glad to!

A helpful tip, too, if you don't want to deal with the crowd, drive out F highway and hit one of the stops below the horse barn, or walk down river from the old dam in the lower end of the park. If you go often enough, buy a trout permit and just fish down there anyway. It's hit or miss on the trout depending on how they're stocking, but a daily permit isn't required with a trout stamp down there and it's a lot more peaceful 99% of the time.

Hopefully we get some more moisture between now and then(in one form or another) as the river is lower than it's been as long as I can remember.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
JRSherman,

my wife and I have fished there for the past 5-years and make that our "vacation" spot that we go to once a year...

Two years ago, there was less than 50 people fishing on opening day and only 2 on the second day, not counting my wife and I. I was so cold that about every 5 casts, we had to peel the ice off our rod tips just to be able to make the next cast. Needless to say, we both limited out in the first 30 minutes we were there. Same thing for our third day of fishing...

If you think about it and want to, call me on my cell phone and we'll see if we can get together for lunch, before you have to head back. I'm buying....

David 918/244/6284

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ugh. Posted while ago, right when OSA went down.

David I'll give you a call if I get up there, although there'll be a fight about who's buying lunch! It would be too hard for my conscience to let a darn tourist pay for my dinner in my own hometown :D !

NFF you ought to just come up anyways! There's nothing that gets your blood pumping in both directions(good and bad) like trying to land a nice trout when you're tangled in 2 other guys lines lol.

ETA good lord. I've tried posting this response twice and OSA wanted to go down each time.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I fish up there a couple of times a year, but there is no way you will catch me fighting the crowds on or near opening day. My favorite time to go is during the winter catch and release season. There are very few people on the river, and the big fish are always biting due to lack of pressure.

D&T, if you're flyfishing shoot me a PM and I'll give you a couple of tips on flies that will catch fish up there any time of year.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A unique thing happened to us. this would be hard to time but it worked out great. we went on a day AFTER it rained pretty hard. many of the people staying there had had enough of the rain the day before and did not show up on the day we went. But, the stocking the night before was based on the preious years number of permits sold, so they stocked a lot of fish. we had the place to ourselves and a lot of fish. it was muddy but not raining on us and the water had cleared up enough that it did not bother the fish. good day.

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I'm not going to make this like I had hoped. Our class makeup days are tomorrow and Monday night, as well as regular days Tuesday/Thursday, then Sat. and Monday next weekend as well.

I was home last weekend though, and the river was up 6-8 inches from what it had been. Add in any rain this week and it ought to be flowing better than it has for most of the last year.

I wish any of you all that are going up for opening day or opening weekend good luck and limit out!

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I'm not going to make this like I had hoped. Our class makeup days are tomorrow and Monday night, as well as regular days Tuesday/Thursday, then Sat. and Monday next weekend as well.

I was home last weekend though, and the river was up 6-8 inches from what it had been. Add in any rain this week and it ought to be flowing better than it has for most of the last year.

I wish any of you all that are going up for opening day or opening weekend good luck and limit out!

Well shucks, I was looking forward to meeting you at the river...

Glad to hear that the river is up from what it was last year. My wife and I will be heading that way on Monday so we can be there when the horn blows @ 6:30 Tuesday morning...

I'll post pictures when we get back and let you guys know how the fishing trip went...

Porter - pm sent and I apologize for missing your post....

D&T

Kozmos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hope to make it back there soon. I grew up camping and fishing there with my grandfather. I'd catch a few, he'd limit out then catch the rest of mine! Last time I went with him was when I moved back to Oklahoma in '98. We were almost even then. Great times even though that horn blew REALLLLL early!

Latest posts

Top Bottom