RP says no to school security.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
All it takes is one BSC teacher. One.

Now that I think of it, I had a few I wouldn't trust with a stick back in the day.
What keeps a BSC teacher from it doing it now? The law? Pointless and most invalid remark about the whole teacher carry situation IMO.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So that when school is out they can help patrol the rest of the area. I would rather see them being useful year round then only working while school is in session.

We are talking about two different animals. School Resource Officers employed by a city vs. Campus Police Officers employed by the local school district.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, more police officers can create other issues. NPR did a story last year on the problems the Birmingham schools were experiencing. It wasn't a problem with the police per se, but an issue with teachers not wanting to get involved with discipline or in a situation and calling the officers to break up fights. Since the cops were often late on the scene, all of the students involved often got pepper sprayed (even the ones trying to stop the fight) since the cops couldn't tell the good guys from the bad guys.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
“There are those in America today who have come to depend absolutely on government for their security. And when government fails they seek to rectify that failure in the form of granting government more power. So, as government has failed to control crime and violence with the means given it by the Constitution, they seek to give it more power at the expense of the Constitution. But in doing so, in their willingness to give up their arms in the name of safety, they are really giving up their protection from what has always been the chief source of despotism - government.” Ronald Reagan

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FOX News - U.S. - Latest Headlines - Arizona sheriff plans to put armed posse at schools - Page 1 of 2

Arizona sheriff plans to put armed posse at schools
An Arizona sheriff has proposed placing an armed volunteer posse at many Phoenix-area schools, in response to the deadly school shooting in Connecticut.

Earlier in the week, Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne proposed firearms training for one educator in every school in the state. Following that lead, Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said Thursday he wants to start dispatching volunteer patrols to schools within a week, according to MyFoxPhoenix.com.

The report emphasized that the plan calls for armed posse members around the perimeters of schools, not inside them. It will focus on about 50 schools within Maricopa County.

Sheriff Arpaio says members of the volunteer posse provide their own equipment and don't receive a salary, so there's no cost to taxpayers. But, he says, the volunteers have the experience to handle the job.

"The posse has the same training regarding guns as our regular deputy sheriffs, over 100 hours of training, plus refresher courses," he said.

Arizona sheriff plans to put armed posse at schools
"We should never have a defeatist attitude. We look to the future and take whatever precautions we can do. I don't just want to talk, I like action."

Arpaio has used similar volunteer groups to patrol malls over the holidays. Posse members arrested 31 people this year, and the sheriff thinks their presence may deter criminal activity.

When MyFoxPhoenix.com tried to get reaction from school officials, a spokesperson for Arizona Superintendent John Huppenthal said they are looking at a number of proposals and released this statement: "In addition to potentially adopting one of these approaches, we would want to ensure all schools and districts complete the necessary intensive threat assessment and violence prevention training that create a comprehensive solution to create the safest possible environment for our students."

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, more police officers can create other issues. NPR did a story last year on the problems the Birmingham schools were experiencing. It wasn't a problem with the police per se, but an issue with teachers not wanting to get involved with discipline or in a situation and calling the officers to break up fights. Since the cops were often late on the scene, all of the students involved often got pepper sprayed (even the ones trying to stop the fight) since the cops couldn't tell the good guys from the bad guys.

What you fail to recognize here is that pepper spray smells like freedom.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1) That we can not afford it. We can by just cutting a tiny portion of government waste.

1/3 of the budget is a "tiny portion" of government waste?

Can barely afford to upkeep a prefab building let alone have a cop with a car.

If they'd spend their dollars a little wiser... you should see what they spend on those prefabs as well as what they spend on what they put in them. Remember, its lowest bid, not lowest cost.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1/3 of the budget is a "tiny portion" of government waste?

Pretty much!!!! Heck they could get rid of the EPA and come up with 10.3 billion right there.

Seriously you folks are either ignoring what I am posting or just picking out the parts you want to argue with. I said the Feds could easily fund it, I did not say I wanted federal police guarding the schools. Let the feds give the money back to state, city, or school district to use to hire the needed police and equip them. That is where the money came from in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty much!!!! Heck they could get rid of the EPA and come up with 10.3 billion right there.

Seriously you folks are either ignoring what I am posting or just picking out the parts you want to argue with. I said the Feds could easily fund it, I did not say I wanted federal police guarding the schools. Let the feds give the money back to state, city, or school district to use to hire the needed police and equip them. That is where the money came from in the first place.

Would you propose that they borrow more money from China to fund this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Top Bottom