ruger's new lcr 357

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting. What I want to know is if anything is really gained with a .357 mag rd in a short brld revolver? It would seem to me that a lot is lost with the shorter brl since the .357 mag was designed for a 5-6" brl.

I know you gain a lot of felt recoil but other than that I am not sure.

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the LCR 357 is being sold as a "light weight" revolver and yet it weighs 17.1oz

Doesn't seem very light-weight to me (which is probably a good thing when you're shooting .357 through it).

Heh ... we've come a long way when a 17 oz magnum revolver isn't considered truly light weight. That is fully half a pound lighter than Ruger's steel .357 snubby (the SP101).

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heh ... we've come a long way when a 17 oz magnum revolver isn't considered light weight. That is fully half a pound lighter than Ruger's conventional .357 snubby (the SP101).

The SP101 is a brick (in fact, I'm pretty sure most if not all of Ruger's handguns are pretty much heavier than their Smith counterparts). Also, isn't the SP101 is a larger-framed 6-shot revolver? That's a bit bigger than a 5-shot compact frame.

For reference, the Smith Model 60 (an all-steel J-frame with a hammer) is 22.6oz. Its around the same size as the Ruger and not in any way considered light-weight (for a 5-shot J-frame-sized revolver).

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The SP101 is a brick (in fact, I'm pretty sure most if not all of Ruger's handguns are pretty much heavier than their Smith counterparts). Also, isn't the SP101 is a larger-framed 6-shot revolver? That's a bit bigger than a 5-shot compact frame.

For reference, the Smith Model 60 (an all-steel J-frame with a hammer) is 22.6oz. Its around the same size as the Ruger and not in any way considered light-weight (for a 5-shot J-frame-sized revolver).

No...SP101 is 5 shot. Takes the same speed loader as the LCR. It is all steel though.

The bigger framed model is the GP100.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No...SP101 is 5 shot. Takes the same speed loader as the LCR. It is all steel though.

The bigger framed model is the GP100.

OK - I was looking at the .327 Mag version from the link posted a while (its a 6-shot).

Damn that thing is a brick for being that size - 25-27oz. I guess that makes the LCR pretty light for a Ruger :thumb:

I'm not knocking Ruger, I'm a fan for sure - but I've been really unimpressed with the LCR as a whole. Especially when they already had so many light-weight compact revolvers out there that they needed to beat.

Oh well - whatever floats your boat I guess - I've got nothing against someone else owning one :D

fAlGore

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll hang on to my S&W 642 with "LASER" grips.

But I will take one if they give it to me.

Dr. Evil: "All I ask for is some sharks with frickin laser beams attached to their frickin' heads."

TallPrairie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right, so the .357 LCR is 25% lighter than a S&W 60. Not bad!

I actually think 17 oz a great weight for a lightweight .357. Those floaty 13.5 oz S&W 340s are cool guns, but their magnum capability would be wasted on me. I won't run magnums in something that weighs less than a pound.

Instead, my beef with the LCR is the mushy trigger, with poor return. Everybody raves about that trigger, and it is lighter than a usual Ruger DA, but it seems like they achieved that light pull by cheesing out on the return spring. Bad move IMHO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom