Russian made ammo.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of people talk nonsense about steel cased ammo. I've thousands of rounds of it thru ARs and 1911s without anything other than an occasional light primer strike. I'd guess I've had just as many issues with brass-cased ammo as I've had with steel.

A lot of people don't realize the US issued steel cased ammo for various guns during WWII. As long as it works it ain't gonna hurt your gun.

psimp

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Am I being stupid asking corrosive or non- corrosive?… a LOT more cleaning, and older ammo with corrosive, I THINK.. “Not an expert - apprentice level..” just told if ever use clean immediately afterwards 🤷‍♂️
But in this situation any ammo works IF it fires. 👍

Osage1978

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My family has killed enough deer, coyotes and hogs with brown bear (Russian steel cased) 62gr sp 223 to say in practical terms it's been great. Is all Russian ammo great, probably not but I haven't had any issues

I knew an old pot head anti government type fella who lived out by the Arkansas river who lived off deer meat he took with Chinese 7.62x39 out of a ugly sks , he bought whatever was cheapest fmj's of course

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My family has killed enough deer, coyotes and hogs with brown bear (Russian steel cased) 62gr sp 223 to say in practical terms it's been great. Is all Russian ammo great, probably not but I haven't had any issues

I knew an old pot head anti government type fella who lived out by the Arkansas river who lived off deer meat he took with Chinese 7.62x39 out of a ugly sks , he bought whatever was cheapest fmj's of course
Deer my son has killed with his/my SKS w steel fmj they drop dead he loves that gun.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Am I being stupid asking corrosive or non- corrosive?… a LOT more cleaning, and older ammo with corrosive, I THINK.. “Not an expert - apprentice level..” just told if ever use clean immediately afterwards 🤷‍♂️
But in this situation any ammo works IF it fires. 👍

Not stupid... Steel cased ammo ≠ corrosive ammo. Even Hornady makes match-grade steel cased ammo with non-corrosive Berdan primers.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
steel case 30 carbine is ok to use but is a little hard on extractors so get a couple of spares. probably will launch the ejector plunger also so get a few of those and the springs just in case. i am not saying you will have trouble but good to have some spares. also do not use corrosive in an m1 carbine. there was some fake surplus korean i think that was corrosive years ago so learn the codes on that and you will be fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom