S&W 19 "Classic" model

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any of you *ahem* older gentlemen developed an opinion on the Classic line of Smith revolvers? I've been wanting to go get a model 19 but am torn between getting a vintage one or a "classic" model.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Wellll, since you asked, yes, they brought back the ‘classic’ line to try and recapture an iconic period of revolvers. My honest opinion is to shop around and get a vintage gun. The prices continue to go up while the ‘classic’ line will stay flat value wise. I don’t and won’t own a Smith with a lawyer lock on it. That decision has proven to be lucrative. Well bought firearms, for investment purposes, will perform better than money in the bank.
Do some research first. Example, the model 66 is the same as the 19 but in stainless. The 19’s in collector grade are outperforming the 66 right now.
As a bonus, you can get into a vintage gun for about the same as one in the classic line

CharlieWH2O

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most folks want pre-lock. Some prefer pinned barrels and recessed cylinders. Buying a "classic" gets you new everything where a "vintage" model may have a checkered past as far as care and maintenance goes. Buying vintage be certain you know what you are looking at when you inspect it. There is plenty of info on the web for that. You'll likely enjoy it regardless of which way you go or do like a lot of the folks on here, get one of each.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you want a keeper or a shooter? You could find a vintage 19 with some character fairly cheap. If you want a keeper to take out and polish every now and then definitely hold out for a nice older one. I can't think of a reason to get a new "classic" one but that's just me.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have owned and worn out several of the 19,s and the 66’s. I now only own a single model 66. S&W ruined it for me when they installed the lawyer lock and the seven round cylinder. What’s wrong with those people at S&W? You don’t mess around with a very popular classic.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never minded the lock hole. I'm probably gonna get a vintage one because they seem to be around the same price, sometimes cheaper, than the classic version and I like the unshrouded barrel better.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any of you *ahem* older gentlemen developed an opinion on the Classic line of Smith revolvers? I've been wanting to go get a model 19 but am torn between getting a vintage one or a "classic" model.
Technically, the "classic" model isn't really a model 19. It's a newer knockoff.

However, unless yer buying it for one of us "older gentlemen" (ha! PM me), it's for you. So get whatever you want, for whatever reason ya want.

Just my 2¢... :drunk2: