S&W 38-1 Range Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Quote:
It shoots very well, but (it feels like it) kicks much harder than the 642 I compared it with. The 642 has the factory rubber panels which help a lot.

The different grips have to be a factor. And, it may just be my imagination, but it seems like the Centennial type (42/642) guns sit just a bit lower in the hand than the external hammer guns (Chief Spl or Bodyguard).

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know one thing for sure, the Smiths are not nearly as easy to disassemble as the Rugers are. Got it all apart and cleaned and was stressed to beyond belief. I had no trouble getting it apart and back together, I was afraid of damaging something or losing something out of her. I did polish the sear engagement surfaces with a little mothers mag and my cordless dremel. Couldn't really tell a difference like on my Ruger. I guess this 20 year old trigger is about as good as it gets (its nice).

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
It was a fantastic shooting gun. And even better looking!!

The squib loads were scary, never had that happen before. The one time I forgot powder (setting bullet depth) the primer wasn't enough to even move the bullet out of the case. :shrug:

The recoil didn't bother me too much, but it wouldn't make a fun gun to shoot all day either.

Latest posts

Top Bottom