S&W 442 or 642 for CCW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S&W 442 or 642 and why?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I voted 642 because of its stainless steel construction. The 442 is blued aluminum alloy. The 642 may show wear quicker, but it should resist moisture better. I think that's pretty important in a hot and humid environment like Jokelahoma.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd go with the ALL STAINLESS STEEL model 640.

Same style J frame (Centennial) as the 442/642 but it's all stainless.

I know, I know...those are too heavy. :blahblah:

I thought so too, but after you carry it religiously for a couple of weeks, you hardly notice the extra heft.

But go to the range and you'll APPRECIATE the extra heft. :mosh:

After a cylinder or so of +Ps in the Airweights, you don't wanna shoot anymore. Because of it's light weight, the Airweights kick your ass! The all stainless steel 640 has less recoil which means you'll shoot it more than it's Airweight bretheren, hence...better shooting all around! :thumb:

What have ya got to lose? If you don't care for the extra weight, just sell it. You know you'll get your money back for it and then you can buy the Airweight and punish yourself because it'll sit in a drawer and never get fired because of that damned recoil.

Or, you can buy the stainless steel baby and shoot all day with no dastardly, harsh recoil.

The choice is yours.

Thanks Leighton. :wave:

CWO 45

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are both aluminum frames with stainless cylinders. The 442 is just colored dark. Either are good but I prefer the 442 just because I prefer to carry a dark gun. Apples and Apples - just whatever color you prefer. Wear will show with either. Mine.....

[Broken External Image]

CWO 45

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 640 is the all stainless version and shoots .38 +P a little easier. I don't like it for pocket carry because of the weight. It is a fine revolver tho' and works well from the belt. I don't carry mine because I carry something larger (just as easy) on the belt. Good gun tho'.

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom