S&W 442 or 642 for CCW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S&W 442 or 642 and why?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mr.357Sig

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Amending my previous post - both have aluminum alloy frames. The 442 has a carbon steel cylinder. The 642 has a stainless steel cylinder.

But, regardless, I'll side with GED and CWO and go with the all steel 640.

CWO 45

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those are checkered Craig Spegels. He is the original designer of the boot grips that many others have copied. Superb quality.

And I stand corrected on the cylinders of the 442. Most are Carbon Steel. Only the 442 Pro (like mine) and the engraved 442 have stainless cylinders (coated.)

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But go to the range and you'll APPRECIATE the extra heft.

After a cylinder or so of +Ps in the Airweights, you don't wanna shoot anymore. Because of it's light weight, the Airweights kick your ass! The all stainless steel 640 has less recoil which means you'll shoot it more than it's Airweight bretheren, hence...better shooting all around!

What have ya got to lose? If you don't care for the extra weight, just sell it. You know you'll get your money back for it and then you can buy the Airweight and punish yourself because it'll sit in a drawer and never get fired because of that damned recoil.

Or, you can buy the stainless steel baby and shoot all day with no dastardly, harsh recoil.

The choice is yours.

This from Glock'em down.

jalapeno

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 640 is the all stainless version and shoots .38 +P a little easier. I don't like it for pocket carry because of the weight. It is a fine revolver tho' and works well from the belt. I don't carry mine because I carry something larger (just as easy) on the belt. Good gun tho'.

[Broken External Image]

I voted 642 because that is the gun I bought my wife but both are a good choice and CWO 45 that is a sweet little pistol.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like others have said, the 642 and 442 are not just the same gun with a different finish. The 642 uses stainless steel and the 442 uses carbon steel. The stainless will resist rust better which is why I would choose it over the 442. The 640 would be even better if you don't mind the extra weight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom