S&W 442 or 642 for CCW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S&W 442 or 642 and why?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like others have said, the 642 and 442 are not just the same gun with a different finish. The 642 uses stainless steel and the 442 uses carbon steel. The stainless will resist rust better which is why I would choose it over the 442. The 640 would be even better if you don't mind the extra weight.

You're talking about the cylinder, right, because they are both aluminum frames. I have never had a Stainless cylinder rust, I guess it is possible. I have a 642, and have to admit both of the finishes on the guns are not the best or thickest.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You're talking about the cylinder, right, because they are both aluminum frames. I have never had a Stainless cylinder rust, I guess it is possible. I have a 642, and have to admit both of the finishes on the guns are not the best or thickest.

Correct. The cylinder and barrel on the 642 are stainless while the 442 uses carbon steel. Both use the same aluminum alloy frame. The finish isn't strong on either, and the carbon steel is much more suceptible to corrosion which is why I prefer the 642. As others have said, a full stainless model like the 640 or 60 would be much more durable you don't mind the weight.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry neither, I voted the original Airweight Bodyguard the model 38. It feels better in my hand, and I like the option of cocking the hammer. It might be also I just picked up a nickle Airweight a few days ago.

Latest posts

Top Bottom