S&W 625 revolver

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I picked one up in a trade the other day. It is one with the IL made in 08. What are some things you guys have done to yours? This is what I have thought about thus far:
Speigel grips
Trigger/Action job
Remove the IL and get a plug for it (from what I read they may be no more of those)
Hi Viz front sight
Champher the charge holes in the cylinder
Holster
Load all the Auto Rim brass up.

Any other ideas?

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would get the plug. Bullseye is supposedly back from a couple weeks in the hospital. I have had great service from him. I prefer moonclips to the auto rim cases. The rest depends on whether you will CC it or not. I have a great, new, CC holster for sale in the ads.
[Broken External Image]
You can't go wrong with Spegel grips but on an N frame the boot grips are a little small. I prefer the extended boot grip. Here's a pic of mine with Ahrends but I don't CC it so I have replaced the grips with rubber.
[Broken External Image]
It's a great handgun.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ahrends doesn't do checkered. For wood CC grips my choice would be Spegel, Probably take 3-4 months after the order. You can google him and call him. He answers the phone. I use mine as a woods gun primarily so I carry it in a Simply Rugged Sourdough and have the rubber grips.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shot several thouand rounds through my 625 and have never had a problem with the "lock". Personally I believe the so called "lock" porblems are issues of the imagination.
For a quick and easy triger jon get the Miculek spring kit and ind an Apex or C&S extra long firing pin. With both installed and using Federal primers you can probably reduces the mainspring tension and still obtain reliable ignition at very light DA trigger pulls.
Instaead of a HiVis front sight try a bit of fluorescent orange model acrylic paint for the first 1/6 to 3/16 of the top of the front sight. Works well for me.Chamfering the charge holes wold be a good idea but a little extra taper crimp on the cases accomplishes almost as much.
I would prefer to use 45ACP brass in moonclips rather than 45AR brass - I have used both.
Holster choces are personall ptreference and your specific needs. For cmpetition I use the Hoppner & Schuman Speed Sec gholster which works with any N, L or K frame S&W revolver. For carry use there are anymber of Kydex and leather holsters available.
So I picked one up in a trade the other day. It is one with the IL made in 08. What are some things you guys have done to yours? This is what I have thought about thus far:
Speigel grips
Trigger/Action job
Remove the IL and get a plug for it (from what I read they may be no more of those)
Hi Viz front sight
Champher the charge holes in the cylinder
Holster
Load all the Auto Rim brass up.

Any other ideas?

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Back in early 1989 I bought a 625 "Model of 1988" ..... great gun. Andy Cannon tuned it and it is very slick and it is my usual nightstand gun when I am home. One thing I highly recommend is that if you are going to shoot moon clips, get one of those devices that plucks the empties out.

leadfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 625 is a great gun. I sent my 10mm to Dawson and had it reamed to accept 10mm mag. Nice to be able to shoot .40, 10mm, and 10mag with the same gun. Mostly used it at the range and hunting. Changed the front sight to the gold bead which really helps. If you are going to CC, can't go wrong with the VM2.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was a PI in Kansas, the 625 was one of the guns that I qualified with, and regularly carried. Mine has had about 4,000-5,000 rounds through it and the trigger pull, while it is stiff, is also very smooth.

Like one of the other posters here, I think that the issue of the IL is greatly overblown. I have never had a problem with it in any of my newer S&W's and I don't expect to. That said, however, I don't see it as an improvement, and I wish that it had never been developed.

As for what I have had done to mine, it has had a Pachmayr Compac grip installed and the Patridge-style front sight made into a ramp. I believe that is it.

I love mine and I doubt that you will be disappointed in yours.

Latest posts

Top Bottom